cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie
1,178 Views
Message 1 of 10

emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade

I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 10 and linked one of the tiles to my BTinernet mail account. I now find that i cannot see any emails older than 3 weeks old. I have changed the sync to all but still cannot see them .If i access through a broswer, iphone or ipad i get  the same result, no emails older than when the upgrade was do.

 

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this

 

Thank you

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
1,176 Views
Message 2 of 10

Re: emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade

I would guess that your account is set up as POP3, and not IMAP. That means that any mail would be downloaded and stored locally on your PC.

When you upgraded, these local files may have been deleted, or no longer associated with your e-mail program.

 

You could try looking at the trash folder on webmail, and see if you can recover them from there.

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,174 Views
Message 3 of 10

Re: emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade


@Arnolda wrote:

I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 10 and linked one of the tiles to my BTinernet mail account. I now find that i cannot see any emails older than 3 weeks old. I have changed the sync to all but still cannot see them .If i access through a broswer, iphone or ipad i get  the same result, no emails older than when the upgrade was do.

 

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this

 

Thank you


Hi, welcome to the forums.

 

Before you upgraded, how were you accessing your emails? Was it via a browser and webmail or a mail client program such as Thunderbird or windows live mail?  These should still work. The email client with win10 will be different, and hence you will only see emails relevant to your upgrade. The older emails should still be available.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Newbie
1,163 Views
Message 4 of 10

Re: emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade

I accessed it through  a browers (firefox ) and bt.com/mail and then logged in. I can still do that but the mails are not there either.

 

I believe that they should still be there but how do i access them?

 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,155 Views
Message 5 of 10

Re: emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade


@Arnolda wrote:

I accessed it through  a browers (firefox ) and bt.com/mail and then logged in. I can still do that but the mails are not there either.

 

I believe that they should still be there but how do i access them?

 

Thanks


Hi again.

 

When you set up the mail in win10, I believe it uses IMAP by default, it doesn't actually require any particular settings but does it automatically.

 

So all the emails should still be there, perhaps in Folders etc - however it might need Sync to be used. There are only a couple of options, like show All emails or Unread. There are also various flag settings.

 

However, if there are no emails showing in Firefox, then have you used something else, like a smartphone/tablet to access emails ? Another PC using pop access ? If so - then unless an option to leave messages on server was set - then the emails will be stored on the other device only.

 

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Newbie
1,148 Views
Message 6 of 10

Re: emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade

Thank you, I hjave looked in the trash and it only has emails i have actiually deleted, the strange things is that these emails go back 3 years!!

 

why would it sync old deleted emails in the trash but not those in my inbox?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Newbie
1,146 Views
Message 7 of 10

Re: emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade

You are right that windows 10 uses imap , BT confirmed that today but i can't see them in any of the folders.

 

I have changed the sync to all but it has made no difference and I do use my Iphone and Ipad for mail but neither has any old mails on them.

 

I have asked bt to investigate whether the emails are still on the server and they are coming back to me within 48 hours.

 

I will keep playing with the settings and flags

 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,143 Views
Message 8 of 10

Re: emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade


@Arnolda wrote:

You are right that windows 10 uses imap , BT confirmed that today but i can't see them in any of the folders.

 

I have changed the sync to all but it has made no difference and I do use my Iphone and Ipad for mail but neither has any old mails on them.

 

I have asked bt to investigate whether the emails are still on the server and they are coming back to me within 48 hours.

 

I will keep playing with the settings and flags

 

Thanks


Hi again.

 

If the emails are not visible via your browser (or imap via devices), then they are not there. I don't think any flag settings will alter anything.

 

Prior to upgrade win10, did you use any mail client program on that PC, say as a back up ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Newbie
1,116 Views
Message 9 of 10

Re: emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade

Hi

 

No i just accessed them through the browser.

 

Thanks for your help

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
1,109 Views
Message 10 of 10

Re: emails disappeared following windows 10 upgrade

I don't see how an upgrade to Windows 10 would cause your emails to be deleted, particularly if you were using IMAP and your emails and folders were on the BT servers.

 

I suspect it is a BT problem. There have been other posts regarding this happening in the past. If you get no joy when and if BT get back in touch with you post back to see if there is something else that can be done.

0 Ratings