cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

error code 475 will not stop!!!!! I cannot send emails - URGENT!

I am currently overseas in a remote location with slow/poor internet access.

Ever since I have been here i am constantly prompted to change my password because suspicious activity....nope..it is the poor internet attempting to update my webmail. And being out of my office at home..in a developing country.

Ive had to changed my password far too many times each day.

and now..

For the times i am allowed access into my account....i cannot send emails...i get the following:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

Email addy here…

Error code 475: Suspicious activity was detected on your account

I have reset my password again and again.....to no avail. I cannot send any emails.....i telephoned BT support...no help...sorry there is no mechanism we can do to help, just reset your password and clear your caches on your devices. Oh really didn’t know that. But doing that DOES NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM.

So...how....how on earth can i send my now very important and very urgent work emails???

I can receive them....but simply cannot send 

How can I change my password, successfully,  and then be told….it is not me I am suspicious??,…what nonsenses!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: error code 475 will not stop!!!!! I cannot send emails - URGENT!

@johninjapan wrote:

I am currently overseas in a remote location with slow/poor internet access.

Ever since I have been here i am constantly prompted to change my password because suspicious activity....nope..it is the poor internet attempting to update my webmail. And being out of my office at home..in a developing country.

Ive had to changed my password far too many times each day.

and now..

For the times i am allowed access into my account....i cannot send emails...i get the following:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

Email addy here…

Error code 475: Suspicious activity was detected on your account

I have reset my password again and again.....to no avail. I cannot send any emails.....i telephoned BT support...no help...sorry there is no mechanism we can do to help, just reset your password and clear your caches on your devices. Oh really didn’t know that. But doing that DOES NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM.

So...how....how on earth can i send my now very important and very urgent work emails???

I can receive them....but simply cannot send 

How can I change my password, successfully,  and then be told….it is not me I am suspicious??,…what nonsenses!

Hi.

This isn't a password issue, but an issue of "foreign" access. This seems to happen in various countries and has been reported a few times. I don't believe there is anything you can effectively do using btinternet email addresses.

It might be best to get a different email address, like Gmail, and start using that.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Andy

Yes it always seems to occur, this and similar issues when i travel.

What is the point of advertising a "webmail" system, i.e. ease of access from any computer, if the system notes you logging in from a different location known as "home" and then goes crazy and locks you out because it thinks it is not you??!!

It is like saying to a child, do you want an ice-cream, they say yes, you then offer it to them, but because they have moved positions from front of the shop to the side, you say, sorry I dont know who you are you can’t have it??!!

There needs to be a wholesale change to the way BT/Yahoo understands its users, i.e. those that travel and access their accounts from constantly changing locations. All it needs is a simple, is this you...yes or no email...and answer with a password or a code texted to your mobile phone. My HMRC VAT tax returns does that every time I log into my account to pay taxes etc.....and it texts me to my Japanese mobile too. Simple. BT doesn’t even allow calling/texting to non UK phone numbers, who actually PAY for the premium email service like I do!!!!

Even Hotmail, has the same type of system of texting your mobile phone. Or emailing to another address a code.

Thus BT/Yahoo needs to stop being parochial, and recognise that users are not always in the same location day in day out and stop locking them out simply for doing what everyone else is doing, being mobile....because to do otherwise is pure nonsense!!!

Very annoyed.

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

Hi John.

I agree with most of your comments, with perhaps one slight alteration.

A 2 stage login process is fine for HMRC as it's typically not something you would use every day or many times a day. Email is a bit different, but a 2 stage login could be used if the "travel" error appears. Of course, everyone would have to set up this 2 stage login facility prior to any travel.

I did hear one excuse being that "BTinternet is a UK system" ... so effectively meaning foreign use was either not expected or needed.

0 Ratings