cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaddyB
Message 31 of 113

Re: error message 554 - can't receive emails from some people

Hi Guys,

If you send legitimate bulk email and your mailings are not being delivered to the recipients' Inbox or are being continually deferred, please email details to postmaster@btinternet.com. The Postmaster team will then see what needs doing to address the problem.

For more information take a look at - BT Mail - Best practices for Postmasters and senders of bulk mail

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
RossM
Beginner
Message 32 of 113

I have 6 days ago and have recived nothing in return.

0 Ratings
iccaldwell
Beginner
Message 33 of 113

I am having this problem quite regularly. I first had it a month ago   forwarding an email to Mr X who I have a lot of email with. As I was away and using a smartphone I did nothing then.

Yesterday I sent a email to 60 address including M X and Ms Y. It failed for Ms Y but not Mr X.  I reported this to postmaster@btinternet.com sent the 5 email they asked for but nothing. To get the information which was about 50 lines to Ms Y I had to put it in a cloud document and send a link.

Today a forward failed to Mr X!

MR X is on talk21.com. Ms Y is a domain email forwarding to btinternet.com.

Anybody an ideas

BT FIX IT!!!
0 Ratings
Stepmert
Beginner
Message 34 of 113

I am having similar issues with following bounce back message:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk [65.20.0.49]: 554 Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.2.1) - Please report any problems to BT via the postmaster@btinternet.com mailbox and include your sending ip address with an example header of your email

Have emailed postmaster yesterday with no response. I am trying to email a number of clients with bt email addresses without success

Can anyone help?
0 Ratings
hungabunga
Beginner
Message 35 of 113

Hi

We are now having this issue again and it is linked like others have said with having a www link in the email (part of our signature)

I have even tried sending a plain text email with just our website address and still won't get through, other www address links are fine so I guess BT have blocked our website address or IP that is linked to this site.

I have emailed postmaster but not had a response and it is now affecting all 140 users, please can this be looked into ASAP as all checks I have done show us clean and not on blacklists

The website is www.clearwaterinternational.com 

Thanks

Sohail

0 Ratings
Whitt
Beginner
Message 36 of 113

We have had this problem for weeks now - any news from BT?

smtp; 554 Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.2.1)

Has anyone any idea what policy reason 3.2.2.1 says?

0 Ratings
OldB
Beginner
Message 37 of 113

This problem is still happening and 'postmaster' seems to be asleep...

Some senders also get delay messages about too many e-mails from this (server) IP address.

My brother waited 2-3 hours and re-sent the e-mail that failed and sure enough - it failed again... Wakey wakey!

0 Ratings
wingers57
Beginner
Message 38 of 113

I have been dealing with this issue today and over the past week with BT. Things have escalated today however not to a satisfactory conclusion. 

To summarise the 1 hr 40 mins I spent chatting with second line support in India (after making a formal complaint a week ago which nobody did anything with) this is what I have found out. 

I send out a newsletter to 900 subscribers every month. 180 of those are with Btinternet.com or orther BT related addresses. All 180 failed but the rest went through ok to the various other service providers. In my case all of the subscribers are real and subscribed to the system themselves, somebody did not do it on their behalf. For each a message was returned with the following message in it: 

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxxxxxx@btinternet.com
Remote-MTA: dns; mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.2.1) - Please
report any problems to BT via the postmaster@btinternet.com mailbox and include your
sending ip address with an example header of your email

This problem will occur even when a single newsletter is sent to one email address at BT. To make matters more confusing I can strip out the content from the newsletter so it is empty and it is still rejected. 

The server is not blacklisted, the domain does not have a poor reputation. DKIM, DMARC and SPF are set up at the sending server as well to prevent rejections like this. 

During the 1hr 40 minutes online with BT I demonstrated that I could send and receive mail from my btinternet account. I went to my newsletter application and sent out a single newsletter to my private (non BT address) it came through ok. I did the same thing sending to my BT address it was blocked and never made it. BT took control of my computer and checked my email settings which were ok.

So the problem is not with my mail configuration. The level 2 support engineer told me that as far as he was concerned the BT system was working without fault. Therefore my complaint could not be upheld. He would not acknowledge there was a problem. "The problem must be in your newsletter".

So anticipating that this forum is not a place for just venting if there is anyone out there that has a clue please can you specifically tell me what this error means: 

554 Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.2.1)

We all know spam is a problem, and we all know there are content sensitive switches monitoring email traffic and limiting spam, and identifying spam sources, checking blacklists etc. In my case and in many others in this thread we are legitimate users. So please tell us what the Policy Reason is and what 3.2.2.1 means so we can get our newsletters to our subscribers.

Right now BT is blocking some if not most forms of Newsletter or bulk email. In my case 900 are sent over a 9 hr period to individual addresses.

I have had another situation where a newsletter was blocked because the word "medication" was in it. It was a newsletter from a Parkinson's Society nurse. So quite legitimate. I have a fear that the people that are setting policies on mail filters either do not know what they are doing, or are failing to test them. I have seen similar situations with the TalkTalk network as well, which ironically is working ok at the moment.

When pressed the BT 2nd line support engineer could not tell me what the BT policy was because they do not have access to that information.  My next letter goes to OfCom. I do not object to mail being filtered provided it is a level playing field and those that wish to legitimately send mail can do so. Right now BT is selectively filtering mail, and nobody can tell you why. Remember that you do not know what you have not received!  

0 Ratings
wingers57
Beginner
Message 39 of 113

Oh and btw if you try to send the bounced header to postmaster@btinternet.com it get's bounced. Well done BT! That is good network design. You don't have any problems with your systems because nobody can send them to you.
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 40 of 113

@wingers57 wrote:
Oh and btw if you try to send the bounced header to postmaster@btinternet.com it get's bounced. Well done BT! That is good network design. You don't have any problems with your systems because nobody can send them to you.

wingers57,

I suggest you look at thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Printpapa/m-p/1600135#M41378

0 Ratings