cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdrianS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

evening and Weekends no more?

Just having a look around the BT site for some strange reason and noticed on the phone pakages that people now have a choice between free Weekend calls for their line rental cost or Bt anytime, but no more Evening and weekends. It seems like Bt have got rid of Evening and weekends, not a good idea to be honest, but it now makes sense why Bt have changed the times people can call for free in the evenings, they are trying to force us to either take anytime, which cost more or go down to Weekends only.

Well doen Bt, you have lost another customer, no, I think you may have lost another 2

Adrian
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Malacath
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: evening and Weekends no more?

Also from april BT are changing the times when the evening period starts.

Instead of 6PM it will start at 7PM.

So basically anyone who is on evening and weekend packages will find their bills suddenly go up because a lot of people wait til 6pm to make a call. As they wont know the offpeak times have changed they will end up with a massive phone bill because of all the calls they made at 6pm.

This is a neaky move clearly designed to force people onto the anytime package. Thing is they will probably end up losing customers to other companies like talk talk

0 Ratings
Eamdad
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

No, it changed not to trick people.

"We've looked into it and 6pm to 7pm is a busy time for calling, but it's the time when people make short, organisational calls," he said. "It's between 8pm and 9pm when they sit down to have a chat."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jan/29/bt-free-evening-calls-change

If i had some controll of BT i would have done the same thing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Warhammer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thank God you haven't.
0 Ratings
peterwt
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

I signed up for free evening and weekends at no cost provided I signed a 12 month contract. The contract to be renewed each year automatically. I am wondering how this will affect these contracts? Will this change only affect new customers or will my contract not be renewed at the end of the 12 month period, which is after 1st April?

Peter
0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 6 of 7

@Eamdad wrote:

No, it changed not to trick people.

"We've looked into it and 6pm to 7pm is a busy time for calling, but it's the time when people make short, organisational calls," he said. "It's between 8pm and 9pm when they sit down to have a chat."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jan/29/bt-free-evening-calls-change

If i had some controll of BT i would have done the same thing.

The fact that this time change was tagged in the small print at the bottom of the email proves that it is done to trick people.

So what if people make lots of small calls between 6 and 7.

Those small calls have a minimum call charge. There is also the fact that if the person you are calling doesn't answer or is engaged you still get charged the minumum cost because of that bt answer service.

After a few tries you can still easily clock up at least a £1. And as most people don't read small print they wont find out until they have a massive bill.

BT are hoping that this massive bill persuades them to join the anytime plan.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Evening & Weekend Plans still exist; see http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF... . They are still available to existing customers. They just don't appear on the headline site which is aimed at new customers.