cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie
1,889 Views
Message 21 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution
 
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Newbie
1,888 Views
Message 22 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution
I have recently just joined BT in January. I had BT total broadband option 1 with 10gb. My broadband was activated on 26th jan and I was shocked to get an email on 07/02 saying I had used 7gb of 10gb allowance. I could not understand why as I have just moved into the house and have been busy sorting things out. I have BT vision and assumed that watching some programmes on that was using up the allowance. So i called BT the next morning to be told I had went over limit and used 12gb eventhough I had been in bed and not used any Internet. I upgraded to option 2 with 40gb as recommended by the advisor. So I am completely shocked less than a week later to get an email saying I have used 32gb!! And I have also since found out that BT vision does not use up allowance! I am totally flabbergasted as to how I have used so much of my allowance when I have downloaded one movie and watched a couple of videos. According to the BT website 40gb allowance should allow download of 59 movies?! Totally confused! Any help or advise would be appreciated
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,866 Views
Message 23 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@Trace_1125 wrote:
I have recently just joined BT in January. I had BT total broadband option 1 with 10gb. My broadband was activated on 26th jan and I was shocked to get an email on 07/02 saying I had used 7gb of 10gb allowance. I could not understand why as I have just moved into the house and have been busy sorting things out. I have BT vision and assumed that watching some programmes on that was using up the allowance. So i called BT the next morning to be told I had went over limit and used 12gb eventhough I had been in bed and not used any Internet. I upgraded to option 2 with 40gb as recommended by the advisor. So I am completely shocked less than a week later to get an email saying I have used 32gb!! And I have also since found out that BT vision does not use up allowance! I am totally flabbergasted as to how I have used so much of my allowance when I have downloaded one movie and watched a couple of videos. According to the BT website 40gb allowance should allow download of 59 movies?! Totally confused! Any help or advise would be appreciated

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

 

Have a look at the online usage meter (up to a day in arrears, as the date will show). My shortcuts, link below, options 14d-14j should enable you to see the meter. The latter 2 for the slightly enhanced display showing uploads and downloads separately. Could you pop back and give the up and down figures as shown ?

 

From the information you have supplied, your usage looks to be wrong.

 

I do know that there are cases that have the wrong usage shown, and I am convinced it is an "admin" error in perhaps the information supplied to a database, perhaps as simple as an incorrect reference ID entered (even one character wrong). I don't believe it's a hardware or recording issue.

 

You could contact the moderation team for investigation, which may take a couple of days to be answered due to their workload :

 

Moderation Team Email Address: please fill out the "contact us" below.

 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Highlighted
Beginner
1,815 Views
Message 24 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies. I have checked the new usage monitor and it shows:

upload       0.64gb

download 15.92gb

total        16.56gb

 

As of 18th Feb 23.59hrs. My activation day was 04 Feb and I did not use any internet until late that evening. I do have 2 smartphones, but these are generally used instead of a pc, not as well as. I do not have any games consoles or any other devices in the household that connect to the internet. How much allowance would I expect to use through this kind of usage? Eg. internet browsing only.

 

Thanks, Ian.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,787 Views
Message 25 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@ianzx wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I have checked the new usage monitor and it shows:

upload       0.64gb

download 15.92gb

total        16.56gb

 

As of 18th Feb 23.59hrs. My activation day was 04 Feb and I did not use any internet until late that evening. I do have 2 smartphones, but these are generally used instead of a pc, not as well as. I do not have any games consoles or any other devices in the household that connect to the internet. How much allowance would I expect to use through this kind of usage? Eg. internet browsing only.

 

Thanks, Ian.


Hi again Ian. Thanks for the extra info.

 

Can you say what sort of things you access with the smartphones apart from browsing ? If they are continously on and connected, then they could be using the internet a lot by polling for items. Don't forget that things like radio or tv streaming also count towards usage, as does facebook applications etc.

Login to the usage monitor daily and make a note of the usage figure (note the date/time it shows as updated)

 

If your PC is not used much, then perhaps you could leave that disconnected for a couple of days. Also may sure that the smartphones are not connected to the web, e.g. at night.

Then see what the usage monitor shows over a few days. Or if you can do without a connection altogether for 36 hours, turn off the router power altogether at night. Then next day, just login to check the usage figure only (do this say after 8am) and make a note of the figures and date/time (should be up to the previous midnight). Then disconnect the router power again and leave off until the following morning. You can then check the usage figure, and it should either show zero increase, or maybe just a very tiny bit which would indicate the usage you used whilst checking the monitor the previous day.

If the usage has gone up more than 0.01->0.05 GB during this period then something is wrong.

 

Take screen grabs of these figures.

Highlighted
Beginner
1,763 Views
Message 26 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

I'm replying to here to my original mail as I am not convinced that this problem is solved at all. In the last few months we have all tried very hard to control the amount of our usage but it suddenly shot up in the last few days coninciding with occasional loss of connection and difficulties getting in the myBt home site. In one case 4-5 GB in a day with hardly any use apart from a short time LowFi audiostreaming. I know all the things we are supposed to check that use up bandwidth in the background (I am not computer illiterate) but I simply don't get it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
1,757 Views
Message 27 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

My usage figures are now:

 

up       0.7gb

down 17.5gb

total  18.2gb

 

So in a 24 hour period I have used nearly 2gb. This probably doesnt sound much to most people, but as I have said before it is only through web surfing. I have not downloaded anything other than web page content eg. email, ebay, internet banking, comparison sites etc. I think the usage is excessive given what I have used it for. Also why is there so many other people on here griping about the same thing if there is nothing wrong? We all seem to have the problem since moving to BT. Has anyone been with BT a while and experienced this problem, but not from the start of their contract? I am not doing anything differently than when I was with my previous ISP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,741 Views
Message 28 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@dwille1 wrote:

I'm replying to here to my original mail as I am not convinced that this problem is solved at all. In the last few months we have all tried very hard to control the amount of our usage but it suddenly shot up in the last few days coninciding with occasional loss of connection and difficulties getting in the myBt home site. In one case 4-5 GB in a day with hardly any use apart from a short time LowFi audiostreaming. I know all the things we are supposed to check that use up bandwidth in the background (I am not computer illiterate) but I simply don't get it.


Hi.

 

To be honest, all I can suggest at the moment is try the method in my previous post - to see if there is something wrong. But that does mean not using the internet for 36 hours or so, and keeping a note and screen grabs of the figures.

Also use the new usage monitor (my shortcuts link below, option 14i or 14j), that will show the up and down load separately.

 

Depending on the audio streaming quality, 128kb/s will use around 50MB per hour, or 20 hours for 1GB.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Newbie
1,736 Views
Message 29 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

Hi all,

 

This morning I received an email from BT informing me that I used 33GB (!!!) over my 10GB allowance. Interestingly enough on 13/02 (a week ago) I received an email saying "Total usage is now over 7GB." It looks that I am using 5GB+ per day. We are not watching films/videos over the Internet, we do not stream much audio, and we really are "light" users. For last 5-6 years we exceeded 10GB/month maybe three times.

 

Having spoken to BT they could not provide us with data on when exactly our usage started changing so dramatically - all they could provide us with is what one can read from MyBT site. They obviously cannot provide us with the history of our connections although I'm sure there is a register somewhere (there must be something to facilitate the anti-piracy campaign, etc.)

 

I'm going to talk to billing section tomorrow and hopefully will manage to get some help/advise from them but there is something fundamentally wrong with these figures.

 

It does help to know that there are other people with similar issues - perhaps we should start thinking of a collective complain?

 

Adam

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
1,712 Views
Message 30 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

Im having the same issues.

I used to be on opt3 and threatened to leave. the guy I spoke too said why didnt I change to opt1 as I wasnt even using over 10gig a month  so there was no point me being on unlimited.

so I downgraded to opt1.

now each month, I am going over my 10gig limit and Im not even downloading half the amount of stuff that I used too!

I spoke to BT today and she said I was uploading music! I dont upload anything! I dont use iplayer, youtube, watch live streaming films.

all I do is download the odd film or some music and browse, and no more excessivly than when I was on opt3, so I dont understand now why, when I was on unlimited and never went over 10gig, that now I am going over each month.

 

All sounds a bit too suspicous to me, and so, when my contract ends in June, I will be looking to go elsewhere.