cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,222 Views
Message 31 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@sz_adam wrote:

Hi all,

 

This morning I received an email from BT informing me that I used 33GB (!!!) over my 10GB allowance. Interestingly enough on 13/02 (a week ago) I received an email saying "Total usage is now over 7GB." It looks that I am using 5GB+ per day. We are not watching films/videos over the Internet, we do not stream much audio, and we really are "light" users. For last 5-6 years we exceeded 10GB/month maybe three times.

 

Having spoken to BT they could not provide us with data on when exactly our usage started changing so dramatically - all they could provide us with is what one can read from MyBT site. They obviously cannot provide us with the history of our connections although I'm sure there is a register somewhere (there must be something to facilitate the anti-piracy campaign, etc.)

 

I'm going to talk to billing section tomorrow and hopefully will manage to get some help/advise from them but there is something fundamentally wrong with these figures.

 

It does help to know that there are other people with similar issues - perhaps we should start thinking of a collective complain?

 

Adam


Hi Adam. Welcome to the forums.

 

Can you login to the online usage monitor, see my shortcuts (link below) options 14d-14j, try the latter 2 to get the up and download figures.

 

The fact that this has just started for you, seems to indicate some form of crossed information regarding the usage monitor. Without knowing how the usage meter is associated with any user, it is possible that a reference ID for the monitor is matched with a user connection ID. If by some admin error a new user has been associated with the same monitor reference ID, then the meter could show both accounts together.

It is therefore possible that the other user maybe showing zero usage, though if their connection account is against the same usage monitor ID, then they will also see higher than expected figures as it contains two user's worth of data.

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,221 Views
Message 32 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@allym wrote:

Im having the same issues.

I used to be on opt3 and threatened to leave. the guy I spoke too said why didnt I change to opt1 as I wasnt even using over 10gig a month  so there was no point me being on unlimited.

so I downgraded to opt1.

now each month, I am going over my 10gig limit and Im not even downloading half the amount of stuff that I used too!

I spoke to BT today and she said I was uploading music! I dont upload anything! I dont use iplayer, youtube, watch live streaming films.

all I do is download the odd film or some music and browse, and no more excessivly than when I was on opt3, so I dont understand now why, when I was on unlimited and never went over 10gig, that now I am going over each month.

 

All sounds a bit too suspicous to me, and so, when my contract ends in June, I will be looking to go elsewhere.

 

 

 


Hi. Welcome to the forums.

 

Have you checked the online usage meter ? Have a look at my shortcuts, (link below) options 14d-14j, the latter 2 will give the up and down load figures.

 

Do you use Spotify ?

 

How did the person you spoke to know it was "music" that you were supposed to be uploading ?

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
1,196 Views
Message 33 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

yes  i checked the online usage, and that does not tally up with what I have downloaded. it also had an upload figure, but I do not upload anything!

no, I dont use spotify.

 

I dont know what made the lady think it was music, but that is what she said it was. she also said that facebook used up the monthly allowance? is that correct? even if I dont upload or download anything from that?

 

A friend of mine has said that he also got an email saying he was over his 10gig limit, and he doesnt know why as he has hardly used his pc. he said his son had also got one.

 

I do not trust BT's online usage, and looking at the posts off other people, it would appear that no-one knows why they are going over their limit. Indicating that it is inaccurate.

 

I wouldnt have been so suspicious if I had not previously been on option3, and been told then that I never went over 10gig.

this makes me wonder if this was just a sales tactic to make me stay with BT, knowing that I did go over and that BT could then recoup further charges from me by going over 10gig, or by making me think I used more than I do and then I  upgrade to either opt2/3.

 

Whatever the reasons, I do not agree with these figures.

I will be looking at using an independant usage monitor, and comparing the two. plus making a note of my figures each day to see how much they differ from BT's monitor.

 

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
1,164 Views
Message 34 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

I have had my router turned off for over a 24 hr period and here are the new results:-

 

up       0.73gb

down 18.18gb

total   18.91gb

 

Before turning it off I maybe used it for browsing for around an hour, but these results are from 23.59 on one day until 23.59 the next day. Comparing it to my last results it shows that I have used 0.7gb (give or take) with the router turned off! Not a lot, but even with my short period of use of around an hour I dont believe I should have used that amount. I think the usage monitor that BT use is incorrect and being used to make its customers upgrade. Anybody got any ideas where we can go from here to get BT to investigate this. Ive got less than a week before I have to upgrade(costing me money I can do without paying) or pay another £15-£20 for going over. Not happy!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,159 Views
Message 35 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@allym wrote:

yes  i checked the online usage, and that does not tally up with what I have downloaded. it also had an upload figure, but I do not upload anything!

no, I dont use spotify.

 

I dont know what made the lady think it was music, but that is what she said it was. she also said that facebook used up the monthly allowance? is that correct? even if I dont upload or download anything from that?

 

A friend of mine has said that he also got an email saying he was over his 10gig limit, and he doesnt know why as he has hardly used his pc. he said his son had also got one.

 

I do not trust BT's online usage, and looking at the posts off other people, it would appear that no-one knows why they are going over their limit. Indicating that it is inaccurate.

 

I wouldnt have been so suspicious if I had not previously been on option3, and been told then that I never went over 10gig.

this makes me wonder if this was just a sales tactic to make me stay with BT, knowing that I did go over and that BT could then recoup further charges from me by going over 10gig, or by making me think I used more than I do and then I  upgrade to either opt2/3.

 

Whatever the reasons, I do not agree with these figures.

I will be looking at using an independant usage monitor, and comparing the two. plus making a note of my figures each day to see how much they differ from BT's monitor.

 

 


Hi again.

 

Certain Facebook applications can use up to around 400MB per day, but these are the extremes. If it's only used for general browsing or reading etc, then it's minimal. Frankly what you've been told sonuds completely wrong, were you told about facebook using a lot without you saying that you used it ?

 

If you don't mind me saying the "sales tactic" idea is certainly not the case for obvious reasons. There are also some people who may not be aware what is actually considered as usage. It is everything using the connection apart from BTVision, BTFon, Digital Vault and BBTalk. Even if the users doesn't "download" anything, streaming TV, music, radio, skype video chat all count.

 

However there is clear evidence of incorrect usage, and I believe some investigations maybe looking in the wrong place.

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,156 Views
Message 36 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@ianzx wrote:

I have had my router turned off for over a 24 hr period and here are the new results:-

 

up       0.73gb

down 18.18gb

total   18.91gb

 

Before turning it off I maybe used it for browsing for around an hour, but these results are from 23.59 on one day until 23.59 the next day. Comparing it to my last results it shows that I have used 0.7gb (give or take) with the router turned off! Not a lot, but even with my short period of use of around an hour I dont believe I should have used that amount. I think the usage monitor that BT use is incorrect and being used to make its customers upgrade. Anybody got any ideas where we can go from here to get BT to investigate this. Ive got less than a week before I have to upgrade(costing me money I can do without paying) or pay another £15-£20 for going over. Not happy!!!


Hi again. Thanks for the extra figures. Are these actually 2 days after your last figures posted ? Your last figures posted would have been from midnight 19/02 - these new ones are two days later. This is important, as your usage on 20/02 will be included, and therefore not presented here. So the date on the monitor you supply the figure is needed to be honest.

 

700MB in an hour (if this is the case) can easily be used by a constant download of a relatively low speed of a connection at 1.8Mb/s.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
1,137 Views
Message 37 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

Hi

I have checked my figures again today, and they have gone up!

My router was off all day yesteday, and all I did last night was check my email and log onto facebook for a hour or so.

i did not do any streaming of any kind whatsoever, or use any facebook applications.

my upload figure had gone up as well as my download. my router was switched on for probably 2 hours max.

 

so please if you can explain how come these figures have changed, after about an hour or so of normal browsing, no streaming at all,  and my router being turned off when I wasnt using it, then I would greatly appreciate that.

 

I am going to see how this can be investigated further.

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
1,131 Views
Message 38 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution
you will up load and download at every website or email you send or receive the uploads happen when you send data to any website or email you cannot avoid a certain amount of uploading you do not have to stream to upload and download
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
1,118 Views
Message 39 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@allym wrote:

Hi

I have checked my figures again today, and they have gone up!

My router was off all day yesteday, and all I did last night was check my email and log onto facebook for a hour or so.

i did not do any streaming of any kind whatsoever, or use any facebook applications.

my upload figure had gone up as well as my download. my router was switched on for probably 2 hours max.

 

so please if you can explain how come these figures have changed, after about an hour or so of normal browsing, no streaming at all,  and my router being turned off when I wasnt using it, then I would greatly appreciate that.

 

I am going to see how this can be investigated further.

 


Hi again.

 

Are you keeping a note of the figures ? Please note that the data is up to a day in arrears as shown by the date/time when you check the online meter.

The meter is bound to increase, if only by a bit due to any use - including general surfing.

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
1,008 Views
Message 40 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

I have the same problem with excessive usage.

I had 20Gb per month for about three years with o2 and never went over my allowance.

I made the mistake of moving to BT before Christmas and was shocked that I exceeded my 10Gb allowance within a week. In January I was charged £30 for excessive usage (6x£5) but only got one e-mail off them, for using 37Gb! I then upgraded to 40Gb to avoid excessive usage charges and have used 39.75Gb in Feb. I use the monitor now, and switched of the router all yesterday to avoid going over my limit, but the monitor still recorded 0.5Gb!!!

I am not using the computer any more than I was with o2, and only occasionally use You Tube so I am certain something is wrong and I am getting ripped off by BT. Moving to BT was a big mistake, and I will leave at the first opportunity, but in the meantime something is clearly wrong if we are all having the same experience. I will carefully monitor my usage, and switch the router off occasionally to get some evidence before contacting BT. Is OFTEL worth contacting if lots of us have the same problem?

0 Ratings