Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 41 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@al59wms wrote:

I have the same problem with excessive usage.

I had 20Gb per month for about three years with o2 and never went over my allowance.

I made the mistake of moving to BT before Christmas and was shocked that I exceeded my 10Gb allowance within a week. In January I was charged £30 for excessive usage (6x£5) but only got one e-mail off them, for using 37Gb! I then upgraded to 40Gb to avoid excessive usage charges and have used 39.75Gb in Feb. I use the monitor now, and switched of the router all yesterday to avoid going over my limit, but the monitor still recorded 0.5Gb!!!

I am not using the computer any more than I was with o2, and only occasionally use You Tube so I am certain something is wrong and I am getting ripped off by BT. Moving to BT was a big mistake, and I will leave at the first opportunity, but in the meantime something is clearly wrong if we are all having the same experience. I will carefully monitor my usage, and switch the router off occasionally to get some evidence before contacting BT. Is OFTEL worth contacting if lots of us have the same problem?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

The usage monitor is up to a day in arrears, so it depends when you turned off the router.

The only sure way to get the figure is to turn off the router before midnight on "day 1", then leave the router off all together on "day 2", and only connect on "day 3". However you still need to get the usage figure up to the end of day 1. This can be done on another connection if possible sometime during day 2. The figure noted and screen print taken.

Then when you turn on your own router on day 3, checking the usage monitor should show zero increase, and other figure means that there is a problem. You could turn on your own router during day 2 to only get this figure then turn off again. But this might show a very small increase in usage on day 3 check, but no more than 0.02-0.05GB.

The latest monitor shows up and down usage separately, so if you login say using my shortcuts (link below) options 14i or 14j, then you can see what you used for the whole of February. Do this before tomorrow morning as it will have reset and show the usage for today.

Do you know if O2 had any "off peak" usage allowance that wasn't included in any general fugures ? These sorts of things do need to be taken into account if relevant.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 42 of 87

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply and the useful info. I am now keeping a daily log of my computer useage and Gbs used. Not aware if O had an off peak allowance, but I do know that I will leave BT asap!! No way am I using this much, definately not happy!!! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 87

Go to solution

Based on what I've seen today there is definitely some kind of problem with BT's data measuring. According to the data usage webpage I used over 25GB yesterday whereas the Home Hub which was reset 4 days ago shows 16GB for the 4 day period.

I'm currently awaiting, probably in vain, a call back in 15 minutes from a 'supervisor' (it's been 25 minutes).

They are not going to get away with this!

Edit:

They called back. I'm talking to him now and he's trying to baffle me with nonsense...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 87

Go to solution

I have also been hit with a massive over usage bill of £70. My allowance is 10GB but supposedly i have overused by:

Nov 30GB, Dec 25Gb and Jan 15GB.

I am the only person using the internet and that is on my laptop.  I browse, check emails - if I think it will take time to reply I will do a Word doc then attach this to the email, and do a bit of online shopping, but this takes no time at all. 

I have never downloaded music, have dowloaded approx 10 photos from emails in this period, do not watch tv or anything else of that nature.   

When I asked why I had not received emails advising of this over usage was told emails were sent to my broadband email (which I have never used) and not my BT Yahoo account.  I then went to online support and was told I had never registered the broadband email address, didnt know I had to and cannot find any paper work advising me to do so!  As advised I have downloaded a usage meter and registered using my BT Yahoo details.

And all this after my email inbox was completely deleted in the beginning of the week due to a BT problem.

Is there any way I can found out what usage I am being charged for, this is a really  worrying matter.

With thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 45 of 87

Go to solution

Does anyone know if OFTEL  can/wil look into complaints like these?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 46 of 87

Go to solution

@landsbj wrote:

I have also been hit with a massive over usage bill of £70. My allowance is 10GB but supposedly i have overused by:

Nov 30GB, Dec 25Gb and Jan 15GB.

I am the only person using the internet and that is on my laptop.  I browse, check emails - if I think it will take time to reply I will do a Word doc then attach this to the email, and do a bit of online shopping, but this takes no time at all. 

I have never downloaded music, have dowloaded approx 10 photos from emails in this period, do not watch tv or anything else of that nature.   

When I asked why I had not received emails advising of this over usage was told emails were sent to my broadband email (which I have never used) and not my BT Yahoo account.  I then went to online support and was told I had never registered the broadband email address, didnt know I had to and cannot find any paper work advising me to do so!  As advised I have downloaded a usage meter and registered using my BT Yahoo details.

And all this after my email inbox was completely deleted in the beginning of the week due to a BT problem.

Is there any way I can found out what usage I am being charged for, this is a really  worrying matter.

With thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Do you use anything like a smartphone, games console - or perhaps skype video chat ?

Can you look at your online usage monitor, see my shortcuts (link below) options 14d-14j. The last one shows separate up and down figures. It also shows an average usage, though I'm not sure over what time period it refers. So that figure may also include the Feb figure in the average.

When did you join the service may I ask ?

If you can post the usage figure up to date (note it's a day in arrears as it show the date/time it was taken and is from the beginning of the month). Also take a daily figure and make a note of it.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 87

Go to solution

Hi Andy

Thanks for your response.

No I don't use skype and have no game consoles.

I have some readings from the usage meter i downloaded.

3rd at 4.30pm, download day 5778kb - upload 69kb

3rd at 11pm download 14.7mb, upload 7.34 mb

All i did was come onto this forum and broadband helpdesk, and check emails. From 3.45pm until 11.00pm wasn't connected at all and shutdown my laptop at 11lpm.

9.55 this morning download was 1kb and upload 2kb

10am down 11kb - up 6kb

Shutdown at 10.01 and back on at 13.36; dowload was 23kb and up 18kb. just kept going up even though i wasn't online. At 14.11 download was 164 kb and down was 159kb. The meter says my quota is 2000mb? Am on option one with 10gb allowance. Just checked the meter - 14.56 pm and download 1889 kb and down 1033.

Someone did ask if my router is locked, don't know what that means.

I really don't understand any of this so your help would be appreciated.

With thanks

Jacqueline

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 87

Go to solution

Hi again Andy

Thank you for the info and I've just checked my BT Usage meter (didn't even know it existed), I have 9.15GB remaining.

I logged off at 15.16 and have just come back on line.

My usage download at 14.56 was 1889 and up 1033.

download at 15.16 was 3239 and up 1959.

I also see other comments about getting emails sent when you go over your allowance, and know my BT contact email address is my Yahoo mail so even telling me I had never registered and thats the reason I didnt get them makes no sense.  Oh and also while I'm at it would also like to tell you that when my Yahoo inbox was completely deleted (and never recovered) I was told it was because the settings on my Blackberry had been changed?

With thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 87

Go to solution

@landsbj wrote:

Hi again Andy

Thank you for the info and I've just checked my BT Usage meter (didn't even know it existed), I have 9.15GB remaining.

I logged off at 15.16 and have just come back on line.

My usage download at 14.56 was 1889 and up 1033.

download at 15.16 was 3239 and up 1959.

I also see other comments about getting emails sent when you go over your allowance, and know my BT contact email address is my Yahoo mail so even telling me I had never registered and thats the reason I didnt get them makes no sense.  Oh and also while I'm at it would also like to tell you that when my Yahoo inbox was completely deleted (and never recovered) I was told it was because the settings on my Blackberry had been changed?

With thanks

Hi again.

What usage meter have you downloaded ?

Hope you don't mind me saying, but your usage figures are a little tricky to work out - as you've tended to use different units over the past couple of posts. Your figures above need to have the unit against it, either KB or MB, it looks like KB based on your usage meter value.

The figures don't actually look that bad, and could easily be general surfing, say looking at the news websites, some of which contain videos.

The usage meter value of 2000MB is something it has probably defaulted when you installed it, it has no idea what your actual figure should be. Your other figures showing increase are very small, and can easily be just general usage "traffic". Even though you say the figure was going up when "not online", you are always online when your laptop is on and the wireless connection has been made to the hub. There will always be a little usage, for some of the programs that check for updates in background for example.

An email should be sent when you've gone past 70% of the usage. Typically the email address is the one you signed up to BTinternet, or indeed the BTinternet email address you chose when you started.

You've just mentioned that you have a Blackberry, is that connected to your hub via wireless ? If so - that can use a fair bit of usage if allowed to go unchecked.

As for the Yahoo! Inbox being deleted, if you've set up your Blackberry to read your emails - and not set the option to "leave messages on server", then they will all be downloaded to the Blackberry and then deleted from the server.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 50 of 87

Go to solution

Hi Andy

I download Think Broadband as advised by BT online support.  Sorry my figures are confusing but you say they look normal so thats good enough for me. But I still cannot understand why i would have overused 30GB in November, just doesnt sound right that I would have used 40GB in a month, then the over usage December and January. I will now keep my eye on the usage.

I have been receiving emails on my blackberry for about 8 months which also go to my Yahoo email. Set this up when my desktop was giving trouble. Should have stopped them going through on my blackberry but will do so now, an no it isnt connected to the hub.

Thanks you have been very helpful

0 Ratings