Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution
I have now taken out option 2 so should not have any more over usage charges. I was told yesterday that the charges were correct so would not get a refund, but I noticed today on some of the forums that some people have got a waiver on charges for the first month of overusage. How do I find out about this.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 52 of 87

Go to solution

try live chat  

live chat    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 87

Go to solution
If anyone else has this problem go to online support, was a really helpful person I dealt with.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 54 of 87

Go to solution

Like many on this forum, I moved in October to BT, opt1. Over the past 5 years I've never exceeded 10Gb. Bearing in mind my PC has 40Gb HDD, and we browse lightly and download a couple of movies a month. 

December got charged £50 for 50Gb over use!

Jan and Feb over usage again.

There is something wrong with either the Home Hub, the BT monitoring system, the line or the BT Vision box. In my case this is certainly not down to my useage.

Customer services can forward your case to tech services who can apparently work out detailed usage. I'm still waiting for the call back from this analysis.

Considering the number of cases here makes it more convincing that there is an error on BT's end. But i expect it will be v. difficult to prove.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 55 of 87

Go to solution

I changed to Option 1 from Unlimited 2 years ago as I was nowhere near using 10gb a month.

Suddenly last year I had an email to say I had exceeded my limit and I did not complain as I had downloaded quite a few large updates during the month concerned but did not think I had exceeded the limit. However for the first time of exceeding my limit no charge was made but I was informed that if it happened again a charge would be made.

Following that I logged in to check my usage every day and kept a log of any uploads and downloads plus cleared my downloads on IE 9 and used that as an additional reminder.

Lo and behold allowing for web surfing and all the additional things that BT's usage list states what counts as Usage I found that on one day the usage had been exceeded by approximately 250mb.

I contacted BT by phone and fortunately spoke to someone in the UK. I explained what I had found and was quoted this that and the other and the fact the OFTEL had checked BT's Usage meter and how accurate it was. I eventually got a word in and quoted exactly what I had done the previous day and made my point of view in the strongest way that I could.

Amazingly since then my usage has give or take a small amount been as near to my daily log that I keep.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 56 of 87

Go to solution

@welshdragon wrote:

I changed to Option 1 from Unlimited 2 years ago as I was nowhere near using 10gb a month.

Suddenly last year I had an email to say I had exceeded my limit and I did not complain as I had downloaded quite a few large updates during the month concerned but did not think I had exceeded the limit. However for the first time of exceeding my limit no charge was made but I was informed that if it happened again a charge would be made.

Following that I logged in to check my usage every day and kept a log of any uploads and downloads plus cleared my downloads on IE 9 and used that as an additional reminder.

Lo and behold allowing for web surfing and all the additional things that BT's usage list states what counts as Usage I found that on one day the usage had been exceeded by approximately 250mb.

I contacted BT by phone and fortunately spoke to someone in the UK. I explained what I had found and was quoted this that and the other and the fact the OFTEL had checked BT's Usage meter and how accurate it was. I eventually got a word in and quoted exactly what I had done the previous day and made my point of view in the strongest way that I could.

Amazingly since then my usage has give or take a small amount been as near to my daily log that I keep.

Hi.

Were you really quoted that OFTEl had checked the usage metering system ? OFTEL hasn't existed for years (about 8).

Frankly the usage list as stated is not really that accurate any more. You can't rely on using that as a guide.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 57 of 87

Go to solution

I could have written this post as your sentiments echo mine exactly. I've already ranted on the phone to a quite unhelpful advisor. Basically it's pay £18 for 40GB (whatttt? Talk talk were £15 for unlimited) or lump it. I pointed out that nowhere in all the letters I received from BT begging me to move my service back to them, did it state that there was a 10GB limit on the Option 1 package. Apparently  'I was told on the phone' when I signed up. Sorry, but to the uninitiated (ie probably 90% of the population), 10GB means nothing. No questions about how the internet would be used, how many folk using etc etc. Now of course I'm tied into an 18 month contract so basically it's tough luck. I feel cheated. Shame on you BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 58 of 87

Go to solution

@Andy_N wrote:

Hi.

Were you really quoted that OFTEl had checked the usage metering system ? OFTEL hasn't existed for years (about 8).

Frankly the usage list as stated is not really that accurate any more. You can't rely on using that as a guide.

Apologies Andy_N,

It should have read Ofcom.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 59 of 87

Go to solution

Also having problems with usage having joined in Jan 2012. Have gone up from average 30Gb a month with previous provider (while on unlimited) to 45Gb + a month now with no obvious change in use. In fact I was expecting to go down as we now only watch iplayer through BTVision. We rarely watch YouTube anymore due to the high figures.

Have been monitoring daily usage on MyBT.com; BTHomeHub (mysteriously gone down since yesterday !); ThinkBroadBand monitor on 2 PC; 2 android mobiles with data monitoring. It was interesting a couple of days ago when we watched iplayer via BTVision and there was about 800mb discrepancy between HomeHub and MyBt figures. Is my BTVision usage being inlcuded in my monthly ? - I know it isn't supposed to, but I feel the lack of transparency is making my very suspicious.

Have to say I won't be staying with BT unless I find out what is happening with usage.

(mobile phone provider is also overcharging for data every month !)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 60 of 87

Go to solution

same problem started last month wnt over limit. this month got message used 7gb in two days phoned bt waste of time. then changed to option 2 now i have used 36gb dont know how. just opted out of btfon to see if it helps. could the router be playing up wonderd if putting my netgear router on would help?

0 Ratings