Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 71 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

Hi,

I seem to be having the same problem as a lot of other people on here - we got BT Infinity with a 20GB limit in the middle of last month. In the two weeks following the installation we somehow managed to use 16GB. This month, despite being away for holiday for two of the four weeks, we have apparently used our entire usage. 

The only people using the hub are my partner and I. We are both out of the house at work from 5AM-7PM, and are in bed by 9PM, meaning that we barely even check our emails of an evening. At the weekend we check emails, facebook etc., but nothing that we haven't done on our previous service providers where we didn't have anything like this problem. 

BT states that on BT Infinity download speeds should be 69-80MB and uploads should be 19-20MB - I conducted the uSwitch broadband speed test and that showed our download speed as 29.8MB and our upload speed as 1.8MB. The line is generaly slow, even when loading facebook or bbc news. 

We do not watch iPlayer or download music, movies etc, but BT's own website says that 20GB should be enough for 5,000 songs, 28 movies, 20,000 photos or 10,000 documents, suggesting that we are not getting our full allowance of data.

Can anyone advise what on earth can have caused this problem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 72 of 87

Go to solution

Hi 

We are having exactly the same problem, this month we have supposedly almost reached our limit of 20GB in just 11 days. There is only myself and my husband in the house along with 2 Jack Russells, we hardly ever download anything and rare use iplayer so unless the dogs have leant to use the internet while we are out at work and downloading flims to keep them amused I can't for the life of me see how we have reached this limit. Our router shows that we have only used 5.6Gb over the past 60 days, so much lower that BT's fantasy number.

What should I do that won't invlove wasting days of my life talking to numpteys at BT to sort this out?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 73 of 87

Go to solution

Hi

Same problem here. The online monitor shows I have used 5.83 in the last five days but the monitor in the home hub shows 855.9up and 1.8 down (total 2.65) over the last 5 days so something is telling fibs!!! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 74 of 87

Go to solution

Hi,

I (and others) had a similar problem with excess broadband usage figures reported in June/ July 2014.  At one point BT told me I was using c.8-9GB of broadband data per day, despite the fact that I had disabled the 2.4 and 5.0GHz wireless channels and had no cables connected to the BT Homehub (i.e. no way of using the data!).

I discovered that there was a fault by which any BT WiFi (FON) usage on my BT Homehub was being recorded against my personal BT broadband usage allowance (40GB).  Note that it is not possible to disable the BT WiFi (FON) network on the BT Homehub unless you opt out of BT WiFi, although even this does not seem to guarantee that the BT WiFi (FON) network will be disabled on the BT Homehub.  Also note that BT Broadband customers are automatically opted in for BT WiFi (FON).

BT have admitted that the fault was occurring and have stated that it only affected a limited number of customers.

You can read the relevant thread here...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-Usage-Massive-Surge/td-p/1296353/page/11

Hope this helps...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 75 of 87

Go to solution
I've just spent a good 30 minutes on the the (unhelpful) desk at BT where they are adamant the hot spot doesn't affect your allowance. How it doesn't when my cap is 40gb & I am currently sitting at 90gb for my months usage is a mystery! But apparently there is no fault on my line and the readings are correct at their end. I said that may well be but they aren't at my end. It's a disgrace. He even told me I could upgrade my package. I don't think so! Unplugged my hub as I see no other option to control it.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 76 of 87

Go to solution

Yes I have the same problem with excessive usage. Only had infinity in the village since the end of september 2014 so as our broadband was pathetically slow we were deligted to have the faster speeds. I was previously opted out to FON but I understand I am now automatically opted in. Cannot find out how I opt out again.

My Usage went through the roof on the first month in October and this prompted me to monitor my usage in the second month November. All OK until the 10th where 7gb was  added to my usage and on the 12th another 8 Gb was added. I do not download films uplooad to You Tube . In the month of November I kept my usage down to normal surfing only.

BT say it is my fault and I am responsible.They take no responsibility whatsoever as to the security of their WiFi and I am still battling to get them to waive the excess charge they are applying to my bill. So far hit a brick wall and am awaiting a call from a senior manager before we go to deadlock and then the Ombudsman.

All because BT won't admit any resposibiliy and insist on charging me £5.30 for the excess charge. It of course could be more as there is still another week until the end of the month.

My advice is turn off your router when it is not needed especially overnight and at the end of your contract leave BT.

Plusnet I thought would be a good option but their good reputation is tainted by being owned by BT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 77 of 87

Go to solution

@Arfa wrote:

Yes I have the same problem with excessive usage. Only had infinity in the village since the end of september 2014 so as our broadband was pathetically slow we were deligted to have the faster speeds. I was previously opted out to FON but I understand I am now automatically opted in. Cannot find out how I opt out again.

My Usage went through the roof on the first month in October and this prompted me to monitor my usage in the second month November. All OK until the 10th where 7gb was  added to my usage and on the 12th another 8 Gb was added. I do not download films uplooad to You Tube . In the month of November I kept my usage down to normal surfing only.

Being opted in to FON should make no difference to your usage, so not worth bothering with opting out.

What exactly do you mean by "I do not download films uplooad to You Tube ."?  Do you watch them, but not store them?  If you watch them, then they are still part of your download figure whether you store them or not, the same goes for any video watched on BBC iPlayer, BBC News pages or anywhere else.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 78 of 87

Go to solution

I'm flummoxed. Our usage is no different than the previous 2 out of our 4 years of Infinity,  yet we reached 38.67GB of our 40GB limit during  November. Supposedly 10GB of that was since 27th.

Most of this year the broadband usage meter was unavailable,  but before that,  and also according to the BT site today,  our average has been 28GB.

How on earth can the usage now be correct? 

It is ridiculous that we cannot get any better information from the meter than uploads/downloads. Is there nothing we can put on the BT Home Hub that will tell us. At least which electronic item is using what a out of data? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 79 of 87

Go to solution

i have just registered,and am a 10gb usage limit customer to,me and the wife dont download stream,or rarely watch youtube vids,and on around the 10th of every month we are getting aemail from bt saying you have used over 8gb of your 10gb limit so far,we cant understand it!!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 80 of 87

Go to solution
0 Ratings