cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 81 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

I have had the same problem as everyone else. Have been using BT Broadband for years and have the 40GB package. Have very occasionally gone over the limit, usually when my daughter had been downloading new games and/or videos and my wife and I had downloaded a few programmes on the iPlayer ahead of a holiday.

Recently noticed my usage seems to be about 2GB a day! This without any iPlayer or Sky downloads. Was charged extra last month when I went over  the 40GB limit but could not explain it.

I have therefore been logging usage on a daily basis and trying certain changes.

A couple of days ago, I changed the password on the BT Home Hub from a complex string of 10 random numbers and letters to a much longer string which I can remember.

Hey presto! Overnight my usage went down from 2Gb to 0.6GB, even though I had the extended family around for a BBQ and they were all downloading and uploading from their phones (pics, etc).

The following day usage was just under 1GB, still half the amount that it had been.

I suspect a neighbour has somehow managed to hack the password on my Home Hub and has been pigging-backing on my usage up until now. Either that or the BT FON use DOES clock against my personal bill!

I shall continue to monitor....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 82 of 87

Go to solution

@PathMan wrote:

I have had the same problem as everyone else. Have been using BT Broadband for years and have the 40GB package. Have very occasionally gone over the limit, usually when my daughter had been downloading new games and/or videos and my wife and I had downloaded a few programmes on the iPlayer ahead of a holiday.

Recently noticed my usage seems to be about 2GB a day! This without any iPlayer or Sky downloads. Was charged extra last month when I went over  the 40GB limit but could not explain it.

I have therefore been logging usage on a daily basis and trying certain changes.

A couple of days ago, I changed the password on the BT Home Hub from a complex string of 10 random numbers and letters to a much longer string which I can remember.

Hey presto! Overnight my usage went down from 2Gb to 0.6GB, even though I had the extended family around for a BBQ and they were all downloading and uploading from their phones (pics, etc).

The following day usage was just under 1GB, still half the amount that it had been.

I suspect a neighbour has somehow managed to hack the password on my Home Hub and has been pigging-backing on my usage up until now. Either that or the BT FON use DOES clock against my personal bill!

I shall continue to monitor....

PLease raise a new thread as you will get more help.

Your Home Hub keeps a record of what devices have connected to it. Have a look on the Hub Manager and see if there has been any strange devices attached. Please do not reset or reboot your Hub or refresh your Home Network Page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 83 of 87

Go to solution

Since changing to BT Infinity my monthly usage has shot up from an average of 9Mb to almost my 20Mb limit? with little, if any, change in my actual usage pattern, what's going on?.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 84 of 87

Go to solution

@glench wrote:

Since changing to BT Infinity my monthly usage has shot up from an average of 9Mb to almost my 20Mb limit? with little, if any, change in my actual usage pattern, what's going on?.

Glench,

You will get more help if you raise a new thread describing your isssue. I apologise that the Community does not see fit to lock Solved threads so that new users do not have this posting problem. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 85 of 87

Go to solution

@glench wrote:

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

When users get a much faster product, usage does tend to increase because some packages pick up on the higher speeds and automatically may use a higher resolution or bitrate.

Also as things are much faster, it's easier to do more in the time that was previously possible.

What devices do you have connected ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 86 of 87

Go to solution

Well, nearly my entire 40 Gb has been used up in the first 5 days of January so what now ?

I have a 'smart' Samsung TV from which I have removed the TV wireless link; I have changed the HomeHub 5 password to a 14 letter/number mixture.  Both of these I hope will help although the usage 1st to 5th January has changed during the period since. Weird, eh ?  First time I accessed usage was yesterday and it was 23 Gb (out of 40 Gb)  Today, still showing the same dates, it has gone up to 38 Gb (out of 40 Gb) !!

Any ideas ?

Bob

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 87 of 87

Go to solution

Sorry, problem solved !

Upgraded to Unlimited Broadband - works out as the same price per month as I am paying now.......

Bob

0 Ratings