cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P22
Message 1 of 8

exchange upgrade

Go to solution

does anyone no when and if Tadcaster is ever going to be upgraded to the higher internet speeds. Im sick of paying top wack for the lowest speed going (512mb).

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: exchange upgrade

Go to solution

By the looks of that speed you must have some other issue, poss either a problem with you internal wiring or a line fault and even if BT had upgraded you would not see an improvement.

Have you proved if you can get a better speed by plugging directly into the test socket of your main BT socket?

For further info check here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12666/c/346

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
P22
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. we have tried all the internal solutions to the house ect, there is three other houses around were i live and they only get the same speed as myself. i have been told its because we live four miles away from the exchange and we are the last on that line. so until bt allow other users ie sky virgin ect to use the exchange then basically were stuffed.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@P22 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. we have tried all the internal solutions to the house ect, there is three other houses around were i live and they only get the same speed as myself. i have been told its because we live four miles away from the exchange and we are the last on that line.

If you currently only get 512kbps, I doubt that a change to ADSL2/+ would improve things for you.

so until bt allow other users ie sky virgin ect to use the exchange then basically were stuffed.

If Sky, Virgin etc don't have a presence in the exchange it's because they don't want it.  If they want to install LLU kit, BT can't stop them.

Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Even if you move your BB to another supplier the chances are that you will not get a better speed as it looks loke you have line problems, moving to another ISP will still mean that you are fed by the same pair of wires from your local Exchange, unless you can get cable.

4miles is not a vast distance from an exchange, my advice would be to prove the fault is on the line and just keep reporting to BT

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
harworth
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I can verify that too - I've been previously with Tiscali and was then with Orange - I too am a massive 4 miles from an exchange so cannot really get BB but rather a trickle (which is not helpful since my livelihood depends on the internet) . I did notice a slight but evidenced improvement when moving from Tiscali to Orange in speed funnily enough, even though it was still the same exchange and line speed tests showed about a 20% increase (even with BT I'm not anywhere near even 1 meg though - adverts for 20 meg just rub salt in the wound!), but I notice if you do an I.P check, I now come up as in a nearby city as opposed to the other end of the country as I did with Tiscali, so I don't know if where the ISP have thier equipent can also affect things a little.

It still strikes me as odd that in 1969 we could get TV pics, data transmissions and speech from the moon, but over 40 years later in 2010 4 miles is like living in outer Mongolia for wired broadband (except they probably have 20meg in thier Yurts in Outer Mongolia nowadays! Smiley Happy)  

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@harworth wrote:

but I notice if you do an I.P check, I now come up as in a nearby city as opposed to the other end of the country as I did with Tiscali

Read nothing into that. It'll simply be an administrative address associated with the IP address range - nothing to do with the geographical location of any equipment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
njt77
Message 8 of 8

Exchange upgrade no longer going ahead!!

Go to solution

Hey can anyone at BT please explain why our Treforest exchange was scheduled for the BT21CN upgrade and then this upgrade was dropped! I am getting around 3 MB's here and I only live a short distance from the exchange. Our neighbours in Caerphilly and Taffs Well (literally across the road from where we live!) which is the same distance away from us as to our connection to the Treforest exchange have been both upgraded to BT21CN and they are getting near to the full 20Megs!

Why has BT promised our Treforest exchange would be upgraded then abondoned this!

How can I contact BT and convince them to resume with the upgrade as to what they promised? Would they listen to a petition from the people in our community? I guess there is no way of us being able to switch exchanges either? We are literally living closer to Taffs Well than the Treforest exchange.

0 Ratings