Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doctorhugo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

extremely slow speeds

Go to solution

I had previously posted regarding a problem about getting very slow speeds during the daytime on my broadband connection. At the time i was informed there were no obvious problems on the BT side of things and my speeds, although slower than expected, were not under the threshold for action. Since then the problem has progressively got worse to the point that broadband is now almost unusable until about 1-2 in the morning. It is so bad that whilst trying to run speed tests on the BT speedtester the browser has been timing out due to the slow speed. I have actually managed to get 3 readings today - all under 350Kbps, when it says my line is capable of 7000. I am within a few hundred metres of the exchange. I have systematically changed every link of the chain within the house - different computer, different ethernet cable, different line from router to faceplate and even tried a different router. none make any difference. Given that the speeds suddenly increase early in the morning I don't see how it can be a hardware error which should surely be slow all the time? A relative who lives nearby has been having similar problems and had an engineer out who confirmed no problems within the house or computer (postcode SA43 2BZ). I am increasingly frustrated at paying broadband prices for what is effectively dial up speeds. I have a full time job so cannot be waiting until 2am in order to do anything on the internet. I really need someone to look at whether there are problems or severe traffic shaping on the line in this area as on the last 3 speedtests I have run it is actually below BT's acceptable speed level and I am seriously considering asking for early release from contract. I get faster speeds using a mobile broadband dongle.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Bert93
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: extremely slow speeds

Go to solution

By reading this your connected to the master socket? try taking the faceplate of the master socket and connecting to the test socket which connects directly to the exchange, then try running a speedtest whilst connected to test socket. This will determine wether its a fault on your behalf or bts behalf.

Kind Regards, Bert
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

did you check the links again that I gave you in a previous post to see if exchange is ok?

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
doctorhugo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you for the replies. I checked the links again. there appears to have been some sort of line disruption on the 22nd June but says is clear now  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php?id=19620  I removed the faceplate (one of the new BT openreach ones) and used the socket underneath. No better. I am using the main entry socket for the house. adsl stats are as follows : Downstream 8128 Kbps Upstream 448 Kpbs  VPI/VCI 0/38, Type PPPoA, Modulation ITU-T G.992.1, Latency Type fast, Noise margin down/up 16.5dB/23.0dB, Line attenuation down/up 15.0dB/9.0dB, Output power down/up 19.8dBm/11.9dBm. Loss of framing (local) 22, Loss of signal (local) 2, Loss of power (local) 0, FEC errors down/up 0/0, CRC errors down/up 0/2147480000, HEC errors down/up nil/0, Error seconds (local) 5

Hope those numbers mean something to someone and would appreciate any further thoughts. Stayed up till 2 am and line speed went from 0.2 meg to 1.2 meg which is at least usable but remains almost unusable during "normal" hours

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

you are on adslmax and have an 8mb connection - as good as you can get.

can you run btspeedtester to check your profile and throughput

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
doctorhugo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution
Almost forgot, the quiet line test was fine.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I'm a little bit intrigued that the connection seems to resurrect in the early hours of the morning.

I'd be inclined to post a message to a moderator and get things checked out, because even though you have the potential for a good connection, clearly it is falling below the FTR, (fault threshold rate), and by that token, deserves investigation. Reason is .. it smells of a hot virtual path to me, in which case retail will have to scrap with wholesale to escalate the problem to the tech teams within wholesale, and the investigation process can be lengthy.

Bought the tee-shirt a couple of years back.

Good luck

0 Ratings
doctorhugo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Here are the speedtester results

DSL connection rate: 8128Kbps downstream, 448Kbps upstream

IP profile -7150Kbps

Download speed acheived during the test -197Kbps

Acceptable range: 600-7150Kbps

I haven't had a dowload speed in the "acceptable range" before about 1-2 am for weeks. Sometimes its so slow the browser times out before speedtester finished.

Any thoughts people?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

your throughput is rubbish.  As RogerB said you need to contact the mods for assistance  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
doctorhugo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

thanks for the input. have emailed mod. If it is a hot VP would changing ISP be likely to resolve things?

0 Ratings