cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

failing to find internet connection

I changed to infinity about april/may this year and have constant problems. The longest running is not being able to connect to the internet at all. diagnostics on my computer says "wi-fi does not have a valid IP address" it re sets the router but this mainly fails. i usually have to re set it at least twice before it will connect at all, today it took 3 attempts.

I have had several faults on my line which the fault reporting page says are fixed. but I see no inprovements on a day to day basis. some days everything is painfully slow even by my old hubs standards. A week ago I lost both broadband and landline connections. A workman was in the street with an open reach van. I asked him if he was with BT - he said they had come to change my cable, so they dug up the road and took most of the day. I was not informed of this and it does not show up on fault reporting page. It has made no difference.

I dearly with i had never joined. the saleasperson assured me the only difference I would see was very fast speeds but so far i have seen nothing but problems and i'm still beeing charged. I have not got the caller alert even though I have this new line contract. A chat helper assured me it would be turned back on but still no joy - fancy that!

I have screen shots and chat transcripts to back this up

Please help!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: failing to find internet connection

The no valid IP address can occur if your computer network adapters have been corrupted. You will need to uninstall them and reboot your computer.

If using Win 10 then do this

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
  2. In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.
  3. Press and hold (or right-click) the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.
  4. After uninstalling the driver, select the Start  button > Power  > Restart.

I have found that uninstalling the ethernet adapter solved my problems with both the wireless and wired connection on my laptop.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Thanks but I'm using windows 8.1, do you have and information on this operating system!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

It'll be almost the same.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

It is probably not a corrupted network adaptor if resetting the Homehub resolves the problem.

Try ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

have tried this in the past re one of the chat people, did not work but I'll have another go. Hope I can get back on line though 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 8

Well here I am several hours later.Have managed to get back via my tablet. Can't connect at all via my desktop. The latest message I had said can't connect to Chrome or Firefox due to DNS problem. I have no idea what this is, never seen it before. Have turned hub on and off and computer off. Will have another try tomorrow
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Follow the below instructions:

1. Hold down the Windows key + D together to enter desktop mode. Windows 8 shows an icon in the task tray to confirm that the wireless adapter is installed.
  2. Move the mouse over the network icon and left-click to bring up the Wireless Network.
  3. Connection menu. Make sure "Airplane mode" is switched to Off.
  4. A list of available wireless networks will be displayed. Choose the name of your Hub and click Connect.
  5. Now enter the security key and then click Next.
  6. You should now be connected to your Hub. You might see an option for network sharing. This completes the connection.

I hope using these steps your problem will be resolved.

0 Ratings