cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoots463
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

fault within the BT Line Box - moisture from outside.

Hi Keith,

I've had a recurring fault on my BT phone line (no connection/dropped line or very crackly connection) which I've traced to within the BT Linebox itself.

Taking the front off the box and connecting to the test jack, the line is fine. But the connection through the front plate of the line box is faulty, even with a simple corded phone plugged in. I can see some corrosion of the connections looking from the inside, with some damp. This damp is coming down into the box along the external phone wire (You can feel the moisture coming down the cable, and there is no possible source of moisture elsewhere).

This new line box was put in ~ 1 year ago by a BT engineer following a line fault reported through my broadband ISP. They drilled the hole in the wall to place the line box and filled it as part of the job.

So:

1. Is this a fault within BT's responsible area, or mine? i.e. will I have to pay for an engineer's visit. I see form previous posts that if the test socket is working, it is considered an 'internal' problem. But this is a problem with the box itself, as a result of the original installation.

2. If it is my responsibility, can I get hold of a replacement front plate for the line box?

Many thanks in advance.

Nick

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: fault within the BT Line Box - moisture from outside.

Are there any wires attched to the front plate? if there are these would go off to other phones extension sockets that you have in the house.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

As Dave has said, if there are wires connected to the back of the socket, then the fault could be on your extension wiring. It unlikely that the facplate itself has gone faulty. If you have wires connected to the back of the socket, then disconnect them, and see if the noise stops.

hoots463
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Keith/Dave,

Thanks for response so far.

There is no extension wiring at all on this front plate - the line box was installed as a straight phone socket and no further wiring has been done to any other sockets. The only things I normally have plugged in are the phone and the broadband, both connected via a single microfilter into the socket on the front of the line box in the one room.

I can see the corrosion on the inside of the socket - and some corresponding greenish-black staining on the microfilter plug when it's removed. And the moisture is clearly coming along the cable coming in through the wall (installed by the BT engineer).

So, my problem or BT's, what do you think?

Cheers,

Nick

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

Everything up to and including the master socket belongs to Openreach, and it's their job to maintain it.  The only time you should ever be charged is if you carelessly damaged Openreach's equipment.

You say the line's running down the wall.  If it's been done properly, the wire should have been formed into a "U" shaped drip loop before going through the wall, to stop water running in.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

And the hole should be filled with sealant. If its not then its a defect failure for the engineer.

0 Ratings
hollins
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Hi,

have not yet had moisture problem as yet in inside box but have just noticed that there is no loop in the ouside line to the premises. Probably in time there are going to be water problems. Will Open reach rectify this or wait until there is a problem?

0 Ratings