cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

free fibre optic broadband

I had a letter from BT in july offering me free fibre optic the letter assured me its completely free no hidden costs no new contract and they would send me a new home hub. so I happily agreed, this was connected 2weeks ago wonderfull service. I then decided as everything had gone so well to ask for a youview + box and foolishly thought this would be added to my contract now bt want to charge me for my fibre optic broadband because its not the original contract .when I explained to the service adviser about the free fibre optic broad band they did'nt know anything about these letters being sent out and virtually accused me of lying about them. after much debate i was told they would do a special deal for me the snag was the price was £9 more than i was paying originally. I asked for my mac code so i can leave and was the told I had been out of my contract with bt (they have still been taking the money from my account)for 2 months and the letter was sent in error. so if you get a letter offering anything free from BT beware its only free when it suits them.I email customer complaints surprise surprise no reply. I have been a BT customer for many years  not much longer though.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: free fibre optic broadband

Please can you clarify.
Are you still in a specific contract or on a rolling monthly contract? If you have the letter then can you not produce this? CS staff don't normally know all the deals BT send out.

Stew
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

THanks for your reply I am nowon a rolling contract and i do have the letter from BT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 12

OK. So you have received a letter offering you free fibre broadband? Is there a code you must quote, a specific telephone number you should ring?

Stew
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

yes i don't think i made my self clear I was connected to fibre optic broadband 2 weeks ago it was when i asked for a youview box they told me i had to pay for fibre optic  even when i quoted the letter and the connection code they then said they new nothing about that and the letter must have been sent in error. about right for the bunch of so called advisors I'm still waiting for a reply from the complaints dep

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Has anything changed on your bill? I assume it now lists Infinity (or at least Faster Broadband) in the package details? If so then wouldn't that imply that is what your current contract includes?

Why should the BT TV ordering process care about how much you pay for your broadband as long as you have the necessary broadband package on your current contract?

It does though sound like a pretty non-standard thing for BT to upgrade you to fibre broadband without you having to start a new broadband and calls contract with a new 12 month minimum term. The computer system seems to have confused itself!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

Did you proceed with the BT TV order or give up when they told you about the broadband problem?

Are you aware that you can order BT TV via the web page? I wonder what it would say if you tried to order BT TV that way?

See  http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27270

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Nothing in life is free, one way or another you pay for it.......
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Thanks everyone for your replies I seem to have got to the reason for the problem after a chat with a bt customer care supervisor. it appears that because i asked for you view box a short while after i had this free upgrade the system had not caught up so I was still shown as having the ordinary Broadband and had not been upgraded on my account.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the box will arrive and everything has now been sorted correctly (until the first bill arrives)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

One other point. Have you ordered the free BT Sport channels on the new BT Youview+ box?

You say you were not required to start a new contract for the fibre upgrade, but be aware that the normal terms when ordering BT Sport on BT TV is that you are agreeing to commit to BT Broadband for at least 12 months. So, even if your fibre broadband is free, I think you would still be starting a new 12 month minimum term for your Broadband and Calls package. It shouldn't really make any difference to you as I assume you have just committed to BT TV for 12 months anyway, so are unlikely to want to end your BT broadband contract during that period, but it's worth knowing.

If you needed to clarify this you can phone BT once the BT TV is set up and ask them to tell you if your broadband contract is within a minimum term, and if so on what date the term will be completed. Note that the contract doesn't end then, so you don't need to do anything then if you want things to just continue as is. 

0 Ratings