Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tigerb
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

free infinity connection or not.

Go to solution

I have been with BT for 47 years since 1967. I have been with them for  my computer service from the very start of having a computer about approx 10 years. In this time I have only had 1 disspute with them,which I must say they did admit they where  wrong. I always normally get great service  from B.T. and always reccomend them to anyone who asks for my advice.

I would be pleased to here anyones opinion wether it is for or against what Im about to tell you.

Before I start I must tell you that on the 1st of September 2013 I had more than half of my lung removed through cancer. The operation did not go as well as hoped. Since the operation my memorie is not that great and I can forget things quite easily. The fact that Im 70 years old did not help much.

Anyway now to the querie.

In October 2014 I received a letter from  Libby Barr Managing Director, Customer Care.

Dear Mr Balshaw.

We really want you to experience the difference fibre optic BT Infinity makes, so

we,re offering you the chance to upgrade without paying the activation fee, worth £30. For just £23 a month

(plus your usual line rental)you can start enjoying superfast speeds.

I thought  for a day or two and decided to go for it, I rang and upgrade. when  talking on the phone when the £30 connection fee was mentioned Im sure I mentioned something about the fee but cannot for the life of me remember what.

Days later when I saw the letter again I rang BT, and pointed out about the free fee. BT said they would check the phone call to see whether I had said anything to do with the free connection.

They called a few days later and told my wife I had not mentioned anything in the phone call.So there was nothing they could do.

I will still recommend BT to anyone who asks me.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: free infinity connection or not.

Go to solution

Certainly if you have a letter offering to waive the £30 then that should be honoured and I'd pursue that.

Hopefully one of the mods here will pick that up & get that fee waived - they're very good at resolving issues.

As for recommending BT , well I've been with them for nearly 40 years for the line and only a few years for broadband and they're no better or worse than anyone else to be honest. One good thing is this forum though where the mods are very reactive and resolve most issues. Far better than any other provider that I've been with.

voice_of_reason
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

I would have to agree, my primary reason for staying with BT is the moderator help you can get through this forum when the usual support routes get you nowhere. I haven't come across another provider that proactively helps customers like this via their forum.

It may sound trivial to some, but for anyone who has had problems with their provider in the past, they'll know how valuable a service like this is.

zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
I have alerted the mods.... It's possible this thread may get moved to the broadband or billing sub forums.... But I'll leave it here until the mods have seen it.
PaddyB
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Tigerb,

I would like to take a look at the details of your BT Account. Please could you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

tigerb
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks Paddy for your help. Was the information I gave the information you wanted All the best KEN.

0 Ratings
OlgaC
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi tigerb, 

All the information you provided in your email looks ok. Your email is in our queue and we will be in touch as soon as you reach the top.

Cheers,

OlgaC 

tigerb
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you to PADDYB AND OLGAC and all the people who responded to my query . I would also like to BT especially Mandy for helping me, to a successful end to my problem. All the best to you all. KEN.

0 Ratings
paacoward45
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Heya Tigerb,

I was called by a Simon, to conduct a review of a residential account, on 22/11/ about the time of the Wales vs New Zealand rugby international.

I remember it well, for this reason. I'd settled down by the TV....pinged the kettle on.....and was part watching the game and reading a few doc's. Simon explained that he'd called to conduct an account review, relunctantly I gave up the volume on the TV to deal with Simon's questions for STD. Broadband service to a residential property rather than a business, Simon talked up Infinity Broadband, being 8x Faster than STD Broadband, about how this would help when doing activity online.

Simon gave me several other reasons why UPGRADING to Infinity from STD. Broadband would be a good decision.

I had to STOP! him in his tracks......this is what I said to him, "with Infinity being 8x faster, as rated by BT

is that likely to help occassional users of the internet, who perhaps only log on to their computer/laptop to check; send/receive and email messages once or thrice a week. Or those who download/upload massages of doc's / reports?"

Simon paused, and said "no in your instance, it wouldn't, but in other instances it would" - on the defensive! - Fair play to Simon for having a go!!!! - However, the point I made to Simon was, the account in this household is operated by two pensioners, one over 76, the other over 81

Like you, they often can't instantly remember things that are discussed verbally, in the short-term or even recall a letter

say from a services customer services, or account review team!

The point I'd like to draw attention to is; 

packages for broadband, and indeed any other service enter the Comm's consumer market at a given cost of X  £££ (pounds) and at a given time (promotional period) after which it may not be available to purchasers at a lower cost of X £££

The said pensioners in this case, have been 95% loyal customers for the best part of 45 years, and had grown up as BT being a institutional name in the UK since the year DOT

I turned the question of upgrading from STD. Broadband to Infinity in to....."surely taking in to account, all the monies £££ these 2 pensioners have paid to BT over the last 45 years they have been a BT customer shouldn't BT's PR / Communications / Marketing Dept view the issue of "Infinity or not" as an 'technology awareness raising opportunity' to REACH OUT to the 10,000's of long-standing UK over 65's consumers and bring about a "give back" £££ to the local community incentive, DOING GOOD in the interest of valuable BT Customers.  

I suggested that BT couldn't possibly give back £££ in reality, however they could and should offer to set-up and activate Infinity Broadband package for 3-12 months FREE of any charge, (dependent on a specific consumers loyalty) as a BIG BIG, BIG THANK YOU IN THESE TIMES OF INCREASING COSTS, NOT ONLY FOR PAYMENT TO UTILITY CO'S, BUT FOR EVERYDAY SUPPLIERS/VENDORS FOR ITEMS THAT ARE CRITICAL TO THEIR WELL-BEING AND QUALITY OF LIVING

At this point I could hear Simon thinking... ...what did I do to deserve calling this account review. But he took this point in to account, before swifty moving on to other elements of the account for review..

I don't think he flagged up! OPPORTUNITY FOR UPGRADE ON THE ABOVE ACCOUNT

Simon, you were brilliant in dealing with my objections to upgrading to Infinity for £££ per mth, my suggestion is, as it was yesterday to give Infinity away to particular consumer groups (like over 65's) for 3-12 mths as part of a increasing awareness campaign about: what Infinity Broadband is? why its important for the nation? and how consumers can use it! - >>> >>> This would at least lead consumers in to consideration of new SMART DEVICES which is the future of home life and community unity, as well as being top of priority in the business world, commerce and industry.

I am adviser, I advise those that wish to listen.

Follow me, or dismiss my suggestion.

Comments welcomed.

BT's CEO and the UK's COALLITION GOV, hear our nation!

HELP OVER 65's THROW ANOTHER WINTER

500+ persons died in Dorset in the UK due to inability to keep themselves warm and fed.

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

BT do something called BT basic for low income people specifically aimed at pensioners (please remember not all pensioners are hard up so it is better to aim at low income rather than pensioners per se).

http://www.bt.com/includingyou/bt-basic-broadband.html