Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jimbob
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

gaming life on bt and most other isp's

hi,

this may seem a bit strange but at the end of the day I dont set the rules.

basicly if you wont to play game online you need a good connection with a low latency to servers world wide. Asking for this is like trying to understand roket science.

On the other hand if all you wont to do is download Illegal things like games and movies... then your already in heaven because download speeds are very fast but at what cost? well high users such as p2p users make a **bleep** of alot of lag on the network of the internet and as you can see gamers dont like this.

so after all is it really so much for a gamer who isnt braking the law to get his nice low latency connection?

and shorly by turning interleaving off it saves server prosses?

-------------------------------------------------
Quad Core 3.42ghz @ idle/load 29/37C (water cooler)
Northbridge 2.2ghz / HyperLink 2ghz
4gb ram gt 1.600mhz
4870x1 2gb vram vapper
wireless (free)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Shazzy
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: gaming life on bt and most other isp's

Hiya Jimbob.  I know what you mean when it comes to gaming.  I gave up trying to play counter-strike and such games a few years ago because it was just to frustrating trying to play with a high ping.  I'm into mmo's now because they are a little more forgiving. 

The only advice I can give is for you to find a gaming ISP.  They can be more expensive but there are some who can make sure that you get priority at the exchange.  I was recently with one such ISP, IDNET before getting my mac and heading to BT for BT vision and now I wish I had stayed with them.  Rock solid connection and never EVER had a speed drop with first rate personal customer service and to top it all, there was none of this 12 month or 18 month tie in to a contract **bleep**, it was on a month by month basis.

0 Ratings
jimbob
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

hi 🙂

unfortunately bt, o2 (witch is bt)  and talktalk are the only ones available on this island I live on.

But more to the point my connection was great the day! it was installed upto 3 weeks later then I started reporting high latency then my speed droped now its just all over the place at prime times of day.

just got of the phone to a bt tec and told me as he was trying to get my diss free of charge, he got hung up on talking to a one of his coleegs at bt. what the **bleep** is going on at bt.

one more thing, first off Iv payed a 1/4 bill and got 3 weeks good usage out of it and Imve now been toled if I get my free diss I wont get a refund. So Ive payed over £250 (they charged me £50 twice and then refund me with a check) for 3 weeks of usage and 6 weeks of **bleep**.

dom

4gb ram gt 1.600mhz
4870x1 2gb vram vapper
wireless (free)
0 Ratings
Shazzy
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Ouch that's not good

0 Ratings
jimbob
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

but the good thing is as of today at some point i'll be offline and no longer a bt customer :smileyhappy:

good luck all and try to have fun.

4gb ram gt 1.600mhz
4870x1 2gb vram vapper
wireless (free)
0 Ratings
Ook
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

funny your 1st topic was a rant your second topic was a thankyou bt for your excellent service and now we are back to this......
0 Ratings
jimbob
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

no the funny point was a long time ago. Not long after thanking them it turns to **bleep** down to the facted the router crashed, I restarted it and all the errors come back.

But if anyone here can see somthing ive missed them please advise gamers other wise. Im not wasting my time with this anylonger when Ive lost interest in gaming now anyway. thanks bt.

you can say what you like at the end of the day I wonted to play games on a connection id payed for and ive still not got that back. oh and all problems started after trial, now comon thats bad!!!

4gb ram gt 1.600mhz
4870x1 2gb vram vapper
wireless (free)
0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

There are people that play games on connections much worse than your with no issues, it depends what you expect BT to do about your latency, how big is it?

You need to consider all the factors that play a role in your latency. Your connection, the distance from server, the servers connection, how many people are on the server etc. Having a larger ping when connecting to a server in the US is to be expected. However if you're getting 200+ pings on UK servers then there is probably a connection issue, switching ISP will probably do little to fix that Smiley Happy

You have a connection I shouldn't expect to see for probably about 4 years...

0 Ratings