cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bazza
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

getting other persons email???

Odd one this, set up secondary account for girlfriend (wont use realname obviously) of

firstname_lastname@btinternet.com (underscore)

But she's getting email addressed to firstname.lastname@btinternet.com (period)

I know you can spoof an address, but this does look like real peoples email headed meetings, and the content looks kosher too (read a few by accident).

The mails just landing in the inbox as would a nomal email, she's current putting it in deleted items but would like to know what the heck is going on!!

is it at all possbile to accidently pick up other mail due to the _ and . being treat the same??

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
rogil
Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: getting other persons email???

Have you checked the email header to actually determine the real email address that the message was sent to ?

You can make anything you like appear as the sender, I often get spam reportedly coming from my own email address (its publically visible via a website I use to market my self employment).

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 20

Well I don't think it's the _ (underscore) bazza. Our e-mail address also has underscore in it (format v similar to your girlfriend's) but if I replace it with . (period) then it doesn't work.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Its possible that the person sending the mail is not sure of the correct address, so is sending it to both dot and underscore, assuming that it is getting delivered.

She could always reply to one of the messages and say that they are sending it to the wrong address, assuming that its not simply spam. Some spam can look genuine.

Also ask her to check the "sent" folder to see if any mail has been sent from her new account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 20

@Bazza wrote:

Odd one this, set up secondary account for girlfriend (wont use realname obviously) of

firstname_lastname@btinternet.com (underscore)

But she's getting email addressed to firstname.lastname@btinternet.com (period)

I know you can spoof an address, but this does look like real peoples email headed meetings, and the content looks kosher too (read a few by accident).

The mails just landing in the inbox as would a nomal email, she's current putting it in deleted items but would like to know what the heck is going on!!

is it at all possbile to accidently pick up other mail due to the _ and . being treat the same??

Hi.

May I ask if the "correct" email address is shown in the "To" or "Cc" field ?

The reason she is getting them if the correct email address is not in the To or Cc fields is because her email address is in the Bcc field. The Bcc field should be used by all people sending to a group of email addresses, this protects all the email addresses from visibility from others, and also prevents any trojans/viruses harvesting them if one of the people happens to have a computer infection.

There are many reason for he actually getting these emails as already mentioned. Here are a few :-

1. Sender using wrong email address - easy to sort out by a quick reply email. If the sender uses the Bcc option to send, your actual email address may not show.

2. Email address re-used without any of the senders being aware. Sub accounts can be re-used by anyone after 90 days if deleted from a primary - fairly easy to sort out by replying to the sender saying you don't wish to receive any more.

3. Someone has set forwarding to the email address. However this can be determined by looking at the email headers, and the email address will be in the To field.

4. Spammers sending to multi email addresses - some with underscore, others with period and indeed using the same first/last and another ISP domain. Never reply to any of these, and the only thing to do is delete them or mark as spam via webmail in order to help train the Spamguard system.

Since spammers typically never see the bounce message to a failed email address, that address could already be on a spam email list - and if it was used before, it can easily be on many spam lists already.

In anwser to your last question - no is the answer. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
BillMac
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Hello folks. I'm fairly new to BT ISP (3 months) and since I joined I too have been getting other peoples emails.  It doesn't look like a spam effort from the headers, but it keeps happening. Now I went for a simple (and was actually surprised I got it) email address and I do receive emails at that address that I expect (or test).   I'll not bore you with all the headers but quite how an email addressed to Bellamore@btinternet.com (and if your on here Bellamore feel free to contact me) can then end up as:-

X-Apparently-To: xxxxxxx@btinternet.com via 87.248.114.56; Thu, 07 Jul 2011 00:02:36 +0000

(where xxxxxx = my address) is baffling.

The above is only one example and I get several a week addressed to all sorts of different names. 

Called BT once to ask about it - they had no idea.

As Andy I believe it was has said on another thread, email addresses should be unique, and apart from folks getting it slighthly wrong should only get expected mail - but these aren't even addressed to or close to mine!!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Hi Guys

I can have this investigated for you drop me an email using the contact us form in my profile.

You can find it in the section 'about me', it will prompt you for the all the details we need to investigate.

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

It's spam, don't open, don't say send no more, delete after marking as spam, and edit your post by removing your email address.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BillMac
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

If it's spam how come it doesn't show my email address in the to field of the email?
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 20

See the reply above from Andy_N

0 Ratings