cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: getting other persons email???

have in the past received emails apparently for someone else judging the the email address it is supposed to have gone to.  What I have done if I do not recognise the name of the sender or has no subject is note the sender as a blocked email address and then delete the email.  either that or mark them as spam and go through them (depending on how many) say once a week.  If you do not answer them they will think its a dormant email account and not send anymore hopefully).  don't know if this will help but its what I have done in the past to deal with this kind of email.  seems to work for us.

0 Ratings
alycidon
Beginner
Message 12 of 20

Yes - I am very new to BT as my ISP and the same thing has happened to me.  My suggested email address was accepted without question, but it was not until I tried to change it on my ebay account that I was told that it already existed with ebay.  By that time I had informed my address book and changed it in all my important accounts.  I asked BT to insert a qualifier into the address, and then I had to go back over everything that I had done and change it again.

I am still receiving email addressed to two other users - one is mrsX@btinternet.com, the other is either mrY@btinternet.com OR mrY@btopenworld.com.  How can this possibly happen?  I have been an email/internet user since 1998 and whenever I have suggested a password or log-in that is already in use, I have been told that I must think of something else.  Why didn't that happen with BT?

0 Ratings
BillMac
Beginner
Message 13 of 20

Hi folks...  A bit further on this.  In my post above I "forwarded" to Bellamore@btinternet.com...  Guess what - doesnt exist!!

<Bellamore@btinternet.com>:
Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a btinternet.com account (bellamore@btinternet.com) [0] - mta1012.bt.mail.ird.yahoo.com [BODY]

So just how does that arrive at my totally unlike email address. 

I'd like to see their mail config file on the server but I'm fairly sure they aren't going to allow that....

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 20

@BillMac wrote:

Hi folks...  A bit further on this.  In my post above I "forwarded" to Bellamore@btinternet.com...  Guess what - doesnt exist!!

<Bellamore@btinternet.com>:
Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a btinternet.com account (bellamore@btinternet.com) [0] - mta1012.bt.mail.ird.yahoo.com [BODY]

So just how does that arrive at my totally unlike email address. 

Because it was sent to your totally unlike email address. Note that just because your totally unlike email address doesn't need to appear in the From: header, doesn't mean that it wasn't sent to your totally unlike email address.

I'd like to see their mail config file on the server but I'm fairly sure they aren't going to allow that....

I'm fairly sure it wouldn't help you even if they did...

0 Ratings
BillMac
Beginner
Message 15 of 20

Sorry, this answer doesn't work. The original message was sent to an address that we now know does not exist. How can it then be "apparently to" my address? It should have been stopped by the Mailer Daemon the first time. I'm stopping my input to this thread now as its plain its going no where....
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 20

BillMac wrote:
Sorry, this answer doesn't work.

Sorry, but it does.

The original message was sent to an address that we now know does not exist. How can it then be "apparently to" my address?

It was sent to multiple recipients, one of which was you.

It should have been stopped by the Mailer Daemon the first time.

Just because one of the addresses was invalid doesn't prevent it being delivered to other valid addresses.

I'm stopping my input to this thread now as its plain its going no where....

I'm inclined to agree...

0 Ratings
BillMac
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

I can accept the multilple addressees - if they were displayed anywhere Ian - but there was only one addressee. I also got emails for others - and I see no sign of multiple addressees in the msg headers.
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 20

@BillMac wrote:
I can accept the multilple addressees - if they were displayed anywhere Ian - but there was only one addressee. I also got emails for others - and I see no sign of multiple addressees in the msg headers.

email is sent according to the the SMTP envelope - the "RCPT TO:"  What you're seeing is the content of the message (headers & body) after it's been delivered and the envelope discarded. 

You could think of it as the electronic equivalent of the postman arriving at your door with an envelope addressed to "BillMac". He removes what's inside, throws the envelope away, and stuffs the letter through your letterbox. The letter begins "Dear prime Minister"...

Yahoo writes the "x-apparently-to" header, to store the contents of the SMTP "RCPT TO"

command (of which there could be many for the same message, but you'll normally see only those pertaining to those items sent to you)

You're getting the message because it was addressed to you, despite what you're (not) seeing in the message headers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 20

@alycidon wrote:

Yes - I am very new to BT as my ISP and the same thing has happened to me.  My suggested email address was accepted without question, but it was not until I tried to change it on my ebay account that I was told that it already existed with ebay.  By that time I had informed my address book and changed it in all my important accounts.  I asked BT to insert a qualifier into the address, and then I had to go back over everything that I had done and change it again.

I am still receiving email addressed to two other users - one is mrsX@btinternet.com, the other is either mrY@btinternet.com OR mrY@btopenworld.com.  How can this possibly happen?  I have been an email/internet user since 1998 and whenever I have suggested a password or log-in that is already in use, I have been told that I must think of something else.  Why didn't that happen with BT?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Email addresses can be re-used, particularly sub accounts which are released into the general pool after 90 days of deletion from a primary account. I believe that primaries can be re-used after a number of years (possibly 7).

In your first paragraph, are you able to login to your suggested email address and use it via webmail ? The ebay change may well be because of my first paragraph information.

@For the recepit of the emails in your 2nd paragraph (@btinternet.com and @btopenworld.com are the same and interchangeable), extra info is required to be honest. Are you saying that you are receiving "non spam" personal type emails sent by a "proper" person ? Again this could be because of my initial statement, and the sender has your "new" email address in their list of contacts, perhaps from a previous "owner".

0 Ratings
alycidon
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

Thank you for explaining this to me.  I did not realise that dormant, previously existing addresses, could be revived like this and it may explain why I am not getting shouts of anguish from others.  As soon as I was aware of what was happening, I immediately sent an e-mail to mrs X, but as I have heard nothing from her, I assume that she no longer exists on btinternet.

As to whether the messages are spam - well, I think that they probably could be.  They seem to be advertising things and I have not received any highly personal messages.

many thanks for your help. 

0 Ratings