Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1 of 18

getting upgraded to adsl2 with mod assistance

Just looking for clarification from  mods

there have been 2 posts in the last few days where the mods have arranged an upgrade to adsl2 now the customer's exchange has been 21CN enabled without the customer being required to agree a new 12 month contract.  Is this a change in  BT policy and will apply to any customer who posts on the forum and is referred to the mods so that they can be upgraded to adsl2?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: getting upgraded to adsl2 with mod assistance

If I remember correctly, it was a few years ago, when my exchange was upgraded to ADSL2 I was informed by email that it was happening and that I would automatically be upgraded. I'm pretty sure it went on to say that I needn't do anything and sure enough within a few weeks I was upgraded and I did not have to start a new contract.

This of course could of all have changed now given the way BT charge for everything and just about need you to re-contract on a daily basis.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

@gg30340 wrote:

If I remember correctly, it was a few years ago, when my exchange was upgraded to ADSL2 I was informed by email that it was happening and that I would automatically be upgraded. I'm pretty sure it went on to say that I needn't do anything and sure enough within a few weeks I was upgraded and I did not have to start a new contract.

This of course could of all have changed now given the way BT charge for everything and just about need you to re-contract on a daily basis.

no that is not the point which I am trying to clarify - it has always been standard for the upgrade following the email from BT about exchnage upgrade that the upgrade is done without any new contract being required.

it was the cases where you were trying to get upgraded prior to the standard email and BT rollout ( basically jump the queue) that you needed to agree a new contract first.  this normally required mod assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Remember of course, that the 20cn network is being closed down soon, its in BTs interest to move people over to the 21cn network ( MSANS), to avoid paying BT Wholesale for equipment ports on the old DSLAMs.

http://www.timico.co.uk/blog/2013/04/16/end-of-the-road-for-20cn-broadband-services

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

I thought I read before that even though exchange is upgraded to 21CN you can still leave customers on adslmax so everyone will not get upgraded to adsl2 even though the exchange is now 21CN enabled

20CN will continue for many exchanges where the upgrade to 21CN has not yet happened

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Yes you can have ADSL max on MSANS, and they used to be provisioned that way, if it was not likely the line would support a higher speed, based on the line length.

For some people ADSL2+ may give an improvement, but without seeing the existing ADSL stats, its difficult to say.

The regrading from ADSL max to ADSL2+, on the MSANS, is just a software task, so can be done without insisting on a new contract, as its cost is very small.

Moving from DSLAM to MSAN involves re-jumpering by Openreach, and BT has to pay for that, so insisting on a new contract seems reasonable.

The mods can see what they are connected to, and make the decision based on that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

adsl2 will give an increased upload speed which many want due to using 'cloud' or similar for storage hence the request even when there is no likelihood of increased download speed

as any exchange that has been upgraded to 21CN then the 20CN will cease in very near future so if just a software change then upgrading will become a fomality when requested - so no new contract.  hopefully mods will confirm

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 18

Hi imjolly,

Its really depends on the account, current contract status and what speed benefit there is will be by moving to ADSL2.

For example when we first started moving customers to ADSL2 if the speed wasn't higher than 11 Mbps then a contract didn't appy.

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

sorry Craig

but do I understand that you may still require customers to agree a new contract when you upgrade them to adsl2 depending on circumstances?

if 20CN is being superseded in next couple of months by 21CN in all exchanges that have been upgraded and, if Keith is correct it is only a software change, it seems reasonable that the upgrade should not require a new contract

just trying to make sure I understand and don't give a customer the idea that you can be upgraded to 21CN without now having to agree a new contract

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Just to clarify, its only a software change (regrade) if they are already connected to a MSAN on the 21cn network, otherwise its a physical rewire.

That was the case when I was last working with the stuff.

0 Ratings