Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smokeybradshaw
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

help with adding a second hh5

please help!

Please be gentle, i have very little experience with this sort of thing, so please be patient.

I wish to extend my wifi and have bought a second hh5. I have tried to follow the instructions in this guide

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

But have come across a couple of problems. 

1st, it states at the start to keep the hubs connected throughout, am i right in thinking this is during operation and not during the instructions that follow?

2nd, when trying to change the second hubs IP address, I get a message stating I cant do this! 

As I said, i'm a novice so please explain in simple terms. I'm sorry in advance if i'm missing something simple.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: help with adding a second hh5

@smokeybradshaw wrote:

please help!

Please be gentle, i have very little experience with this sort of thing, so please be patient.

I wish to extend my wifi and have bought a second hh5. I have tried to follow the instructions in this guide

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

But have come across a couple of problems. 

1st, it states at the start to keep the hubs connected throughout, am i right in thinking this is during operation and not during the instructions that follow?

2nd, when trying to change the second hubs IP address, I get a message stating I cant do this! 

As I said, i'm a novice so please explain in simple terms. I'm sorry in advance if i'm missing something simple.

Thanks

First of all a second hub is not the ideal solution to your problem, a dedicated wireless access point would have been the better option. Yes, keeping the hubs connected is just during operation. They will both initially have the same IP address of 192.168.1.254, so until one of them has been changed they will not work together. Not sure why you can't change the IP address of the secondary one, it is definitely possible. I haven't got a HH to hand so can't give the exact menu options. Which menu option are you using to try and change the IP address?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

OK, just dug a HH5 out of the cupboard.

Go to Advanced settings (enter admin password) > Home Network > IP Addresses > Hub IP Gateway address. I would also turn off DHCP on the second hub (same page next option down DHCP Server enable select no) and let the first hub take care of that. Also turn off smart setup on both hubs. Advanced setup > smart setup > smart setup enable select no. Don't forget to press apply and that you will need to login again with the new IP address as you have just sawn off the branch you were sitting on by changing the IP address of the hub.

0 Ratings
smokeybradshaw
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

what would you suggest as a better option? 

I thought about using mains wifi extenders, but a friend uses one of these and his speed is considerably slower than his "normal" home hub.

I have already run the cat 6 into my loft space, so using this isn't an issue.

Id be happy to put the hub back on ebay and buy a better (easier) solution.

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Something like this TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300Mbps Access Point, or this ZyXEL WAP3205 v2 802.11n Wireless Access Point

although I use the BT Mini 500 wifi hotspots powerline adaptors quite succesfully. Unless you are using the wifi to transfer data between machines on your LAN, the governing factor for speed will be your broadband connection speed.

Try the hub first now you have it and see how it performs.

0 Ratings