cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

high noise margin

Hi for the past 10 months i have been downloading at 35.5mb...my max data was 43.000 min 38.000  but about a week ago my download speed dropped to 31mb and i noticed the noise  on my line had jumped up to9.9db  my hh5 keeps re booting every 1 or 2 days  here are todays stats..does this mean the lower my max data rate goes..the lower my download speed will be ? is there any chance my stats will go back up ?

5. DSL uptime:0 days, 20:03:27
6. Data rate:7405 / 33478
7. Maximum data rate:9062 / 38391
8. Noise margin:5.9 / 8.3
9. Line attenuation:38.3 / 23.7
10. Signal attenuation:26.9 / 21.3
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: high noise margin

your attainable will fluctuate during the day as your line condition changes - mine does.

your connection speed will improve when you can get a stable connection 24/7 for a few weeks and DLM reduces your noise margin back to about 6db which will increase your connection speed - but need stable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

hi imjolly...as my noise margin is lowering..so is my max speed..by the time it gets to 6db my max speed may be around 34.000 so my download speed might drop even more ? 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

your noise margin will also fluctuate on a daily basis probably recovering in the morning and then fluctuating during the day - again mine does  in fact it is fluctuating more in last couple of days than it has done in last 6 months

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

so in your opinion is there a chance my max data rate mite go back up to 43 and my download speed may go back up to 35mb ? i just carnt see it going back up myself...my download speed has dropped by 4 mb so far..and my noise margin is still 8.3  surely by the time it drops to 6db my down load speed maybe under 30mb  ?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

if your noise margin gets reset to 6db by DLM after a few weeks of stable connection then I would expect an increase in you connection speed not a decrease.  an increase in your data rate will increase your profile and therefore your download speed

umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

Your connection speed is determined at sync time and then remains constant.

If it sync's using an SNR margin of approx 6dB then you would expect a connection speed somewhere near the reported max (as it was at that time) though there are other factors that might mean it's still a bit lower.

If it sync's using a much higher SNR margin, such as around 9dB, then the connection speed will be significantly lower than the max.

The actual sync time SNR margin and connection speed is recorded in the HomeHub5 event log (WAN category) if you want to double check things.
0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Hi today my stats have changed..my noise margin has gone up again to 9.7 and my max data rate has also gone back up..but..my download speed is still only 31mb instead of 35mb...my max data going back up..is it a good or bad thing ?

data rate 33478...max data 42670

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

as I posted already your attainable rate and noise margin will fluctuate during a day depending on weather which changes line conditions.  that does not change your actual data rate or profile

0 Ratings
cobra7
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

so basically the only way my speed is going to go back up..is if my line stays stable for over a week and my noise margin comes down ? well at the moment my hh5 re boots every 36 hours...im wondering if it has something to do with bt upgrading some people to 52mb..maybe im paying the price in speed reduction for there upgrade

0 Ratings