cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
missmouse
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

home hub switch on/off?

Ive read that the small plug in wall transformers that power mobile phone chrgers etc & the bt home hub are a source of fire. Should I always switch off whin Im not using my computer? ( I always do actually!) & if this is correct, how would anyone be able to sit in their car outside my home & connect using BT fon  via my home hub?

Im actually bemused by the idea of this anyway as I cant connect to a laptop in another ROOM within my house let alone sit in a car in the road outside & get a wifi connection! LOL!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: home hub switch on/off?

switching your router/hub off/on everytime you go to use it can be a problem if you do it often in a short period - may appear to the exchange as a line problem resulting in an increase in your noise margin and a drop in your connection speed.  however if you just switch it off at night before you go to bed then many people do without a problem - even though the recommendaion is to leave connected 24/7

you can always opt out of BTFON just means you can't get the benefit of wifi when out and about

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Devices like the Home Hub are designed to be left running continuously, the amount of heat generated in the transformers is rarely a matter for concern unless you cover them and don't allow much air circulation. Transformers used in chargers will continue to draw a small amount of power if left switched on even when the phone is disconnected, it is not a hazard but might be considered environmentally unfriendly even though it is a tiny amount of power, I would recommend switching off at the mains when the phone is not plugged in.

As for losing access to FON/BT Openzone if you opt out, this is not the case, it just means your hub won't be transmitting an Openzone/FON hotspot so you and anyone else wouldn't be able to connect to your hub  through FON/Openzone. You'd still connect to your personal Wi-Fi connection and you'd still have access to other hotspots as part of your BT contract.

If you don't get a good signal whilst at home try setting a manual channel on the hub or moving the hub to a different location (if practical).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@somersetbob wrote:

As for losing access to FON/BT Openzone if you opt out, this is not the case, it just means your hub won't be transmitting an Openzone/FON hotspot so you and anyone else wouldn't be able to connect to your hub  through FON/Openzone. You'd still connect to your personal Wi-Fi connection and you'd still have access to other hotspots as part of your BT contract.

If you don't get a good signal whilst at home try setting a manual channel on the hub or moving the hub to a different location (if practical).

I you opt out of BTFON then your hub will no longer transmit the BTFON/OPENZONE wifi signal but by opting out you will no longer be able to access BTFON/OPENZONE when out and about,  You can still access any free hotspots provided by coffee houses/hamburger shops etc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 5

The issue about hub on/off has been addressed for this poster in another thread and I think fully and exhaustively answered and concluded there.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings