Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

how do i find my external IP address?

Go to solution

I have a homehub 3.

1. How do I find my HomeHub3 router's external IP address?

2. Is this external IP a static address?

3. If I plug a second router in, going from the GigE port of my BTHomeHub3 to the WAN port on my 2nd TP-Link router will I need to change the external IP address on the TP-Link router?

I'm trying to set up a second network of the BT Homehub. So that anything done on the BT Homehub3 wont affect me on the second network I want to set up with the TP-Link router.

I plugged in the TP-Link router TL WR841N from the WAN to the GigE port on the homehub3,  then plugged my laptop into the GigE port on the TP-Link and it had an internet connection, the internal IP address of the router was different to the homehub3, and then checked on the computer to see if I could see the other computer on the homehub network and it couldn't; so it seems to work.

I just want to make sure it's all set up correctly.

Can anyone help me with what I need to check to make sure it's all set up correctly? 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: how do i find my external IP address?

Go to solution

@richie40 wrote:

I have a homehub 3.

1. How do I find my HomeHub3 router's external IP address?

Just type whats my ip in Google

2. Is this external IP a static address?

No

3. If I plug a second router in, going from the GigE port of my BTHomeHub3 to the WAN port on my 2nd TP-Link router will I need to change the external IP address on the TP-Link router?

No it will get an address from the HH

I'm trying to set up a second network of the BT Homehub. So that anything done on the BT Homehub3 wont affect me on the second network I want to set up with the TP-Link router.

I plugged in the TP-Link router TL WR841N from the WAN to the GigE port on the homehub3,  then plugged my laptop into the GigE port on the TP-Link and it had an internet connection, the internal IP address of the router was different to the homehub3, and then checked on the computer to see if I could see the other computer on the homehub network and it couldn't; so it seems to work.

I just want to make sure it's all set up correctly.

Can anyone help me with what I need to check to make sure it's all set up correctly? 

AS long as you don't want to do any port forwarding you should be ok.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: how do i find my external IP address?

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick and helpful response 🙂

0 Ratings