cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddikelly
Beginner
Message 11 of 20

Re: how to get rid of a 2nd network and have HomeHub 5 SSID cloned everywhere

If they have different SSID and passwords they don't talk to each.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

No idea why they don't, they should do. They talk to each other via IP addresses not SSIDs.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

I have two access points using different SSids on the same network and no matter which SSid you connect to you can use the network printer and shared folders etc with any of the devices connected to the network regardless of which SSid they have connected through.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 20

I think the confusion here is that in the OP's original setup he gave the access points different passwords to that of the HH5 as well as different SSID's. This meant that he had to give a difffernt log in password when connecting a device via the access points to that of the HH5. However if the system now works as he wants it to then having different SSID's is not an issue unless he wants to trouble shoot when one of the access points becomes faulty. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

@cooperman wrote:

I think the confusion here is that in the OP's original setup he gave the access points different passwords to that of the HH5 as well as different SSID's. This meant that he had to give a difffernt log in password when connecting a device via the access points to that of the HH5.  I have different SSids and passwords on my access points and it makes no difference at all. As long as the devices were logged into both of the SSids they should connect when "roaming" about the house and the device would still connect to the home network and should be able to use any shared devices on that network.  However if the system now works as he wants it to then having different SSID's is not an issue unless he wants to trouble shoot when one of the access points becomes faulty. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

@cooperman wrote:

I think the confusion here is that in the OP's original setup he gave the access points different passwords to that of the HH5 as well as different SSID's. This meant that he had to give a difffernt log in password when connecting a device via the access points to that of the HH5. However if the system now works as he wants it to then having different SSID's is not an issue unless he wants to trouble shoot when one of the access points becomes faulty. 

If the OP has stored the SSID's and their passwords in the devices it is no different to having the same password and SSID, the device will still just login automatically as they move between access points. it will be just be using the same credentials each time rather than different ones.

Edit: Typing as gg posted

0 Ratings
ddikelly
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

Oh I don't know then! Maybe I've not set up a 'network'? If my printer connected to the WiFi signal 'HOUSE' and not wifi signal 'HH5' but my phone was on the wifi network 'HH5' then it would not pick up my air original printer that's on 'HOUSE'. None of the devices on HH5 would pick up a device on HOUSE. As we roam around the home my phone may pick up 'HH5' and HOUSE but in many rooms there is very limited signal of either HOUSE or HH5. Now the hotspots are cloned and the printer & all other devices only have the HH5 option I'm hopeful that the devices in far away rooms will pick up the printer etc. Only time will tell. If you think there's an easier solution or that I'm going to have order bs with this then please let me know. We have an ancient house with very very thick walls and kids wanting to print etc from a variety of locations. It doesn't help that our rooter is in the boot room - the furthest room from living areas!! Thanks to all, Dawn
0 Ratings
ddikelly
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

Not 'order bs' but problems!!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

As long as it al works for you  it doesn't really matter. But there is absolutely no reason that having devices with different names should prevent connectivity. They are all connected to the same network, the SSID is just a label.

0 Ratings
frazer3
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

I note the age of the thread but Was interested to note the problem is in a very old house with thick walls. I too live in such a house and have exactly the same problem. I have BT Hub6 and as I have tried to improve the wifi reception I have added various power line boosters at different times and have also wound up with two "apparently" different networks.

Same problem, printer only works on "apparent" network so if you want to print from certain rooms you either have to move or force the laptop onto a different (less strong) wifi connection which is the same "apparent" network as the printer. Then it will print.

I have not solved the problem trechnically but have worked around it by moving the powerline boosters into different places so that the areas I use most are in the same network physical zone. This problem does not appear to affect hard wired smart tv's which are in different parts of the house. 

Who said compouters would make life easier?

0 Ratings