Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddikelly
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

how to get rid of a 2nd network and have HomeHub 5 SSID cloned everywhere

Hello

I've never posted before so here goes:

I have a Home Hub 5, BT infinity and Mini WiFi Home hotspot 500 kits. When I initially set these up it automatically set them up as two diferent networks, which is standard I believe. I somehow (no idea how I did it now) changed the network name of the hotspots to 'HOUSE'. This gave us a 'HOUSE' WiFi signal & a 'Home Hub 5' signal. Annoyingly our printer only picks up the 'BT home' signal, whilst laptop etc 'HOUSE'. So today, I cloned the hotspots to be the same SSID as the Home Hub 5 (with the help of BT support). However, the 'HOUSE' signal remains strong and I've no idea if the hotspots have properly cloned or not.

When I go to homehub.home and check the home network not a lot makes sense. There is no mention of which SSID the hotspots are aligned to etc.

How do I get rid of the 'HOUSE' SSID name please & how to ensure that they are all cloned to the HH5 with the HH5 SSID and password please?

Huge huge thanks

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
ddikelly
Beginner
Message 2 of 20

Re: how to get rid of a 2nd network and have HomeHub 5 SSID cloned everywhere

Just to add that the 'HOUSE' signal has the same IP address, subnet mask, router, DNS numbers as the 'HomeHub5' according to my iphone. Not that I have a clue what those numbers mean or if it is relevant or not.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
ddikelly
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Re: How do you change the SSID on a BT 500 Hotspot?

I have several hotspots & have tried entering the IPs in the browser but just says unavailable. I did change my SSID to 'HOUSE' before (cant recall how) & I now want to change it back as trying to clone the hotspots now. Cant seem to do this as still getting strong 'HOUSE' signal and weak 'home hub' signal.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Why do you want to clone the hotspots?

0 Ratings
ddikelly
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

So we don't have different wireless signals & passwords etc. So all devices can be on the same network & stuff can be sent to printer from other devices etc without having to change network each time. At the mo the printer picks up the 'HH5' signal but the devices in other rooms pick up 'HOUSE' easiest. Does that make sense? If cloned they all have same SSID and password so can send info to each other. Which would be great!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Just to explain how the wifi hotspots work. They are just wireless extenders and don't perform any DHCP function to allocate IP addresses. Your iPhone will obtain its IP address from your Home Hub regardless of whether it is accessing it directly or via a mini wifi hotspot and thus will have the same address. The SSID is just a means of identifying which wifi signal is which and is better to have discrete names to better know which you are connected to.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

See my reply on your other thread. You can give each wifi device the same password even if it has a different SSID. You don't have a separate network, any device can send to the printer regardless of which wifi hotspot it is connected to, they are all on the same network. Different SSID doesn't mean different network.

0 Ratings
ddikelly
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

I don't really see the point of having different networks (WiFi) signals in the one home - not for me I don't think anyway. I have multiple devices and the whole point of the hotspots is to ensure that there is a wired (for the smart TVs, youView etc) and/or wireless signal (printer, laptops & devices) in the rest of the house. As these devices need to 'talk to each other' having 2 networks is a pain especially when each network only works in certain areas of the house & not others & vice-versa.

Anyway, don't worry. Albeit tedious, I went to each of my 4 hotspots -turned them off & on to see which ones didn't give out the "HOUSE' signal (using my phone) & were cloned to the HH5. - I found the culprit still emitting 'HOUSE' (just the one) and have now cloned that again. I no longer have a 'HOUSE' signal. Yeah!! But a great HH5 signal with same password throughout house & linking all my devices (I think & hope!).

Thanks for your time though.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

I'm afraid you are totally missing the point, having different SSIDs is NOT having different networks. Networks are determined by IP addresses not SSIDs, they are just means of identifying a signal. They will all talk to each regardless of what name you give them.

Edit: Now they all have the same name, you won't know which is giving the weak signal and which the strong.

ddikelly
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Fair point I won't know which is weak or which is strong. However, if I want to print something from my phone it will now pick up the printer. Before I had to log into the other WiFi signal to get it to talk to my printer. Etc etc etc.
0 Ratings