Re: hub 2 throttling ?

Go to solution
is that in the outside box?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 55

Go to solution
do you have one of those gray box like the one posted outside your house were the BT cable comes in
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 55

Go to solution

with newbuild home the master - the grey box - is outside and then the sockets inside are just extensions.  are all your extension boxes wired back to the outside box or are they all wired back to one of the extensions?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iain_sherriff
Contributor
Message 24 of 55

Go to solution

newbuild Smiley Happy

sorry......its 120 years old, although the sockets are only 35 years old !!

will have to check what the outside one is like

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 55

Go to solution

the 'grey box' is on newbuilds so whatever your outside box is it's not a master like the grey box

did you check the sockets to see if the bellwire is connected to terminal 3?  if so it should be removed as it can be a source of noise which will affect your broadband connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iain_sherriff
Contributor
Message 26 of 55

Go to solution

the ouside box is grey but doesnt look quite the same. not quite square. will check inside it wednesday.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 55

Go to solution

if an old house it is very unlikely that it is a master box which is only on newbuilds

0 Ratings
Highlighted
iain_sherriff
Contributor
Message 28 of 55

Go to solution

I think I have been missing something here................

I have been reading stuff about IP Profiles ................is this why you are suggesting "speed" is the core of my problems?

I couldn't see why speed mattered so much BUT as I dont use much bandwidth normally if trying to download my space  "going outside" my profile BT will be throttling me on those occaisions

or have I got that all wrong ??

Ontop of my old sockets I run a windup extension from the upstairs socket through two rooms to where my router is.........I know its not ideal  but as I didnt have problems before this issue, well, I didnt bother changing.

I'm thinking now i should get an up to date socket fitted in the right room (then I can also try an accelerator)..

What I still cant get my head round is..even if this ups my speed will it help this issue of freezing up on dowmloads

thanks for bearing with me!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 55

Go to solution

your profile is a function of your conenction speed as I have said so higher connection speed means higher profile - higher profile means faster download speed  Bt will throttle your connection because you don't use much bandwidth

you need to sort out your connection as the extension you describe is crtainly not helping you get a good broadband connection speed and also will result in a poor download speed.

Accelerator is not needed just remove the bellwire from terminal 3 in all your sockets - better than an accelarator

Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 55

Go to solution
your IP profile is set by your connection speed not the other way around those type of extensions are of no use for broadband as they act like an ariel to noise which affect your connection and its speed