cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

hub disconnections and strange entries in event log

I have this ip address from Argentia 201.179.173.162 keep disconnecting my internet as  a 'remote administrator' on my hub event log; when I came in forum to look if anyone else had the problem, I found this post - 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Fishy-log-please-tell-me-if-this-is-normal/m-p/1... 

now he had a similar problem; but what bothers me about the poster is that he says his ip address, and his ip address also appears in my event log. 

I have changed over from using wifi to using ethernet cable as it is safer, also I renewed my BT contract on Friday 03rd March (which was taken from the following Monday 06th); i have not had problems with my service doing this before this month. 

Please can you help, 

thanks. 

p.s. this ip address 118.193.137.211 is hong kong and has also started cutting me off as a remote administrator. 

And, I checked out the ip 192.168.1.67 for geo location and the map says it's in the sea off the coast of equatorial guinea. 

All I did was renew my contract with BT 😞 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: hub disconnections and strange entries in event log

@Wren Can you elaborate on what you mean by "keep disconnecting my internet as  a 'remote administrator' on my hub event log" ?

Also post the log entries you're referring to on this thread rather than posting comments on Fishy log, please tell me if this is normal? You're likely to get more assistance if we can see the error you're experiencing.

Regards 

Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

The access attempts from (201.179.173.162  and  118.193.137.211) are perfectly normal for a device connected to the internet. There are millions of chancers worldwide trying to get access to other networks.  My FTP server log used to show several hundred access attempts every week, since disabling IPv4 access to the server, (removed the IPv4 forwarding in the router) the logs show zero unauthorised access attempts.  It's normal and mostly of little concern.

The IP address 192.168.1.67 is on your LOCAL LAN, it is a non routable private address.  It has either been assigned by your router via DHCP or you have manually assigned it as static on the PC.  BT have millions of customers using Hubs so I'd imagine it's likely several million people have a device on their network with the IP address of 192.168.1.67 at one time or another.

As @smf22has asked some more information would be helpful.

Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

@smf22 thankyou for answering; my hub to web connection kept going down, not pc to hub connection; once I regained connection for a while, I went into my hub to try to see what was happening. 

I may possibly have found out what was the cause. I had changed from using 'Public' setting on my pc,  to using 'Home', and I think i may have caused my hub to struggle. I have returned to using the 'Public' setting, even though I am indoors at home; and will see if that resolves the problem. 

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

@liam thankyou for answering and for explaining the ip addresses, this is very helpful, and I now do not need to worry about it. I will also look into transferring over to IPv6. 

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings