Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
msephton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

iChat and Skype problems

Hello,

I've just joined BT last month after moving. Since then my broadband speeds have been exactly what I was told I would get - 8meg.

Connectivity is not an issue with 90% of things, until I try to use iChat or Skype. The person I am calling tends to be fine, but my video reaches them one frame every 30 seconds or so. Totally unacceptable.

I have gone into advanced settings and used "Application Sharing" to forward the required ports for both but continue to have a very stuttery and low quality experience when using those applications. The port forwarding seems to have made no difference.

I am using an iMac running Mac OS X 10.6.2 and had no problem with this setup in my previous home. The omly thing to change is the router - I am now using a BTHomeHub2.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

matt

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 4

Re: iChat and Skype problems

Hi msephton,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.

Not sure what could be causing this but I can check the network side of things to make sure everything with your broadband connection is fine.

Please drop me an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com, include your BT account details.  Can I also ask that you run a speed check via www.speedtester.bt.com.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
msephton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Things seem to have settled down with this, but thanks for the offer.

I did try dding Application Sharing through the router but later removed these settings.

I'll post back if it changes.

Thanks,

matt

0 Ratings
johnz
Message 4 of 4

I am having a similar problem but in reverse.  I am using the same router and Mac OS but whilst the person at the other end can see a high quality image and has good sound, their image at my side is very poor indeed - completely unrecognisable.

0 Ratings