cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abcmsaj
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

iPhones cause TP-Link W9980 to disconnect

Hey guys, this one's a bit weird so please bear with me.

I bought a TP Link W9980 router to replace my HH5 because of range and connection drops that BT Support were never able to fix (they wouldnt even send me a new HH5 to try! Meaning I had to buy a new router)

All's been fine with it, set-up was painless, and it's a lot better router but I get this weird issue with 2 devices in my house where if you disconnect them from the Wi-Fi, it causes the DSL and the Internet light on the front to switch off (meaning a total disconnect from the ISP) - and it requires a reboot to fix.

Initially it was only happening with my iPhone 6s Plus, where the internet would stop working on the phone but it would be fine on all other devices, but when I toggled Airplane Mode or turned Wi-Fi off and on on the phone, it would cause the router to D/C. Now though, my dad got a new iPad Mini last week, and it too is doing the exact same thing.

TP-Link support have been unable to help me so far, and BT Support won't touch 3rd Party Routers, so I need help from elsewhere... I've made a rough video to illustrate the problem, if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Yudds66uY

Would appreciate any help, it's such a pain and it happens randomly. Thanks!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: iPhones cause TP-Link W9980 to disconnect

I don't know if you can split the two frequencies and give them different SSids on the router in the same way as you can on the Homehub but it might be worth trying if you can.

If you can not do that, what happens if you select the Iphone to use only the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz rather than automatically choose the frequency?

0 Ratings
Abcmsaj
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your suggestion! I don't think this is the issue as, by default, the router splits the channels and separates them by putting "2.4Ghz" and "5Ghz" on the end of the SSIDs.

I thought this was the issue when I had my HH5, and did change the names and split the channels but it didn't fix the issue. As it stands, I think my iPhone only connects to the 2.4Ghz channel anyway
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

It may not be the issue but what have you to lose by trying the iphone being set to only connect to one of them?

In any event, it would appear to be either a router or iphone problem and not a BT Broadband problem so you might not get much help with it on this forum.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

I suspect it is somehow an Apple problem as I have no such problems with my W9980 and Android device. Very bizarre though!

0 Ratings
Abcmsaj
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Inclined to agree, especially as it's happening on iOS devices and there's a known issue on Mac OS X too... I wish I knew the exact process that causes it though. I've heard about iCloud Photo Library causing issues with some routers though.
0 Ratings
nsaints
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Hi,

was this issue solved, as in no more connection issues - I'm considering a W9980 and need some re-assurance as the family have multiple Apple devices connecting to a HH5 who's days are numbered

Cheers..

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

My wife has just 'inherited' our daughter's old iPhone, don't have any problems with it with the TP-Link.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 9 of 9

Is the wifi set to WPA2 with AES encryption? Also ensure on 2.4ghz that 40mhz mode is disabled.

I had no end of issues before using these settings as Apple stick strictly to 802.11 standards and some routers allow combinations of settings that 'break' this.

The router has the latest firmware update?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202068

0 Ratings