cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

im being charged £130 just so i can move my bt package to my new home. REDICULOUS!!!

6 Months ago i took out an 18 month contract with bt for phone line and internet. Im now moving to a new address and they want to charge me £130 to have a new line fitted in my new home. However, when i took the contract out, it said i could have a free line fitted if i needed it. Why should i have to pay for a new line in my new home when i didnt have to pay for the first one?!!!! Absolute rip off!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: im being charged £130 just so i can move my bt package to my new home. REDICULOUS!!!

Hi becca1992 and welcome

Have you spoken with the BT house move team? - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=30848&s_cid=con_FURL_...

If you have, then there's every chance that the charge is correct:(

You could also ask the forum mods to check this for you using this contact form - https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Allow around 3 dats for a reply from the mods if you choose to contact them.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Re: im being charged £130 just so i can move my bt package to my new home. REDICULOUS!!!

Alas, the charge is quoted here: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=30848. See FAQ #3.

It does say that a discount may be available though, depending on your servcies.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Surely the charge is correct and justifiable?

It is the OP who is moving to a new location where BT will have to commision work to install a landline. Why should BT bear the cost of this work?

PS Getting the line installed free the first time was a benefit to the OP. Had he paid the first time, would paying the second time be more or less of an issue?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

yes i would agree with ernie_c if the line was installed free the first time then moving has created a new contract and if there is work to install a new line then that must be charged for only the first install is likely to have been free
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@becca1992 wrote:

6 Months ago i took out an 18 month contract with bt for phone line and internet. Im now moving to a new address and they want to charge me £130 to have a new line fitted in my new home. However, when i took the contract out, it said i could have a free line fitted if i needed it. Why should i have to pay for a new line in my new home when i didnt have to pay for the first one?!!!! Absolute rip off!

Perhaps I could turn the question around.  Openreach have a standard charge of £130 for the work required to connect a new line, or re-connect one that has been disconnected.

BT have already paid for one connection, out of their own pockets, in return for you signing up to a package of products.  Now you're moving house (your decision, not BT's).  Why do you think that BT should pay the cost themselves again?