Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

imessage failing

Go to solution

Hi,

This happens periodically, my imessages dont send as imessage, they automatically change to text messages.

I can send messages to 2 different recipitants and one will change and the other doesn't.

Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: imessage failing

Go to solution
Imessage uses a data connection, do you have sufficient mobile data / wifi access. If so possibly try a simple off & on of imessage in settings > messages , you'll find a toggle switch there
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I believe it may depend on the recipients location and signal being received. I assume of course you know iMessage only works for Apple devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

This could be for a number of reasons:

1.  - the recipient has their phone switched off

2.  - the recipient has their iMessage switched off 

3.  - the recipient is not in a good data area/outside of their home wifi 

In the cases of 1 and 3 you should see your phone try to deliver the message by iMessage and then default to SMS (green) if it's unsuccessful.  

Short answer.  There are many variables, and it's far more likely to be circumstance than error.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks all,

I think it was just as suggested the location and availibility of signal. It was happening with one particular contact more often than not.

Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

As previously suggested, the fallback to SMS happens due to either you or your recipient having poor data (or WiFi) connection.

The best way to prevent the fallback to SMS is to go to Settings > Messages > and turn off “Send as SMS”. This means the Messages app will simply wait until you or your recipient has internet connection again, and then securely deliver your message as an iMessage rather than as an SMS text message. 

I find this is the best option to be certain that my message has been delivered, plus it prevents unexpected charges when sending multimedia.