cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vertuas
Message 1 of 14

infinity 2 - Question about speed

Hi Everyone,

We recently learned that we could take a free upgrade from BT Infinity to BT Infinity 2.  All with out renewing the contract 🐵

We decided to take BT up on the affer.  This is more than 10 days ago.

Since Infinity 2 was set up I have noticed a reduction in bandwidth on the line. I use speedtest.net to test the broad band spedd.

With Infinity I had 40mbps download and around 8-8.5 mpbs upload on the speed test.  There is a small difference due to IP overheads.

After Infinity 2 was set up the line speed should be 75mbps download and 20mbps upload.

This is not the case.  In actual fact the download speed is reduced to  around 30 mbps downstream, with a slight faster upload speed around 11 mbps.

BT's own speed test shows around 72mbps down and 11mbps up.

Does any have an explanation for the reduced speed?

Why is the link to BT running at 72 mbps yet I get less bandwidth that infiinity?

Is this issue caused because BT's connection to the rest of the internet is slow that my connection to BT?

As per usual, the BT support team (AKA Bangladesh Telecom) are as much use as a chocolate curry pot.

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: infinity 2 - Question about speed

Hi, sorry to hear about the issues your having there. Could you run a test here: http://www.speedtester.bt.com (ADSL/FTTC) tester and post results please.

Are you testing your speeds wired or wirelessly?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
vertuas
Message 3 of 14

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  here are the results from BT speed test :

btspeed1.jpg

Here is the test result from SpeedTest.net

speedtestnet.jpg

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 14

By the B.T speedtester everything looks fine, are you testing wired?

Have you tried downloading a large file or test file from the internet? this would give you a more accurate reading on your download speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
vertuas
Message 5 of 14

That image isn;t very good, this one is clearer :

btspeed2.jpg

Thanks

dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 14

To be honest that looks fine, agreed?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

no problems there at all
0 Ratings
vertuas
Message 8 of 14

hello,

This is tested on a wired connection, my wireless is on 802.11b, I only get 21 mbps using that!

According to the BT test the download speed is ok but the upload speed is around 50% of what it should be.

Also why is there a huge discrepancy between BT and SpeedTest.net? I would be more prepared to use the SpeedTest.net result as a guide to actually bandwidth to the Internet, rather than a connection the a semi-local BT server.

The download speed from BT's own network is fine, but the rest of the world it is actually worse than before we "upgraded"  What is the point of having 75mbps to the ISP when the ISP's connection to the outside is the bottle neck?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

try a London server on speedtest.net a lot of the servers on speedtest.net have not got the capacity for high download speeds this has been posted about before
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 14

Unfortunately that's the lovely wonders of the networking word, have you tried downloading a large file? speedtests are only a screenshot of your connection.

If your downloads per second represent your Profiles then your fine.
0 Ratings