cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

infinity package 2 speed drop off

during day getting all speeds as should be 75mbps DL / 18 UL tested on bt wholesale tester, ookla simiarl speeds, bt diagonse tester site same speeds.

As soon as evening appears  2000hrs/2100hrs drops off big stlye

whoesale tester DL 46.87  / UL 11.97  LAT 33.13

OOKLA DL 23.97 / UL 12.90 LAT 37

BT Diag tester    DL46.5   /  UL 11.9  

Has been reported before 31/7/14 same problem i was advice a engineer would be booked to check premises which i accepted, but before due date was cancelled due to fault being found and retifyed.Everything fine till 4/9/14 same problem accepted engineer again but nr to due time/date cancelled again fault fault found in exchange, keep being tole to monitor and that its fixed but finding its still same.Getting no wer with tec team.

What i cant understand is its coorect speeds during day but big dip in evening have mentioned  congestion, but told no doesnt happen with infity and not to that extent, plz hlp was pretty loyal to BT but thats waining pretty fast

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: infinity package 2 speed drop off

Can you put your telephone number into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and post the results (after removing your telephone number) ?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

It sounds like congestion if it happening at "peak" times and you can get congestion with Infinity so the customer service rep was wrong there.

It might be worth checking if any of your neighbours are experiencing the same and if so you all need to keep complaining to BT about it and they should get onto Openreach about increasing capacity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Hi gg30340,

My current deal ends next week so I have been looking around for a new one.  Regarding your statement "It sounds like congestion if it happening at "peak" times and you can get congestion with Infinity so the customer service rep was wrong there."

This is what it says on the BT website for unlimited packages :-

• Some Internet service providers put restrictions on certain types of Internet traffic or limit how much you can download or upload which means at peak times of day, customers may experience slower speeds.
  • We don't think that's a good enough experience for BT customers so we have made all of our unlimited products 'Totally Unlimited'.
  • 'Totally Unlimited' means that you will be able to enjoy catch-up TV, streamed films, online gaming and other bandwidth-eating applications and we'll never slow you down.
Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Congestion is not the same as a restriction put on by the ISP. Congestion basically means that there is insufficient capacity for all the users at the same time. It is not BT ISP that is restricting or slowing you down.

Not a very good analogy but think of it as a motorway at midnight with little traffic, you can travel at 70MPH. The same motorway at rush hour where you can only travel at 40MPH. There are no restrictions other than the volume of traffic. If however there are variable speed limits in place then that is a restriction put on to limit / manage the flow.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 6

Hi gg3o340,

Thank you for explaining the difference, although it does not make it any easier for people suffering speed drops, whatever the reason.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings