cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

infinity speed dropped

does anybody know why my actual speed is far less than when i first had infinity installed.i have rang several times and spoken to an advisor but am non the wiser.for the first few months i was on 18mb download as i was estimated (slow area),then for months since i am now on 10mb.after phone calls and resets it goes back up again for a few hours then just drops right down again.advisers never give me an explanaition.im pretty sick of paying all this money for unlimited infinity when my speeds dropped so much,was quite happy with 18 download

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: infinity speed dropped

Hi

The reason your speed has dropped is because of a noise issue this has caused the DLM to reduce your IP profile to stabilise the line all you need to do is leave the connection alone for up to 2 weeks and once the DLM see the line as stable again it should start to rise again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

hi,ive tried that but its been like it for months,i do a speed test usually about every 3-4 weeks to see if its any different,and have turned my hub off and on again but it never seems to come back.the advisers cant see any problem when i ring,its frustrating 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Unfortunately if the line suffers from random noise problems as you say you are on a long line and it could suffer from more noise issues than a lot of lines there fore the DLM has set your speed for the best available on your line
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 11

Can you visit here, then go on "Begin Test" once that has compeleted carry on by clicking "Further diagnostics" then copy and paste us the reuslts.

Make sure you do the test with an ethernet connection

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

As usual, visiting this site is a waste of time. 'Connect via ethernet cable' to do a test. Oh, yes, I'll just send my new tablet back and ask for something put on the market in the 20th century so that I can check my rubbish BT Infinity connection.

My BT Infinity connection is rubbish. It was always awful, but now it's rubbish. If I do a series of speed tests using Speedtest.net seconds, minutes, hours or days apart, the results are all over the place. One moment I can get 6mbps (which is good for me), then it is 0.6, then 20, then 8, and maybe once a day I can stubble upon a 36 or 48. (Once, it was over 50.)

It is not possible to watch TV on my computer, as it stops to wait or stream for 5 seconds out of every 15 seconds of broadcast. That's unusable.

The switch from awful to rubbish coincided with my phone connection going off for a day (broadband was still on). The phone came back, then went off again, then came back. The line is so noisy at times that I have to terminate calls, and I am told that sometimes dialing my number results in nothing happening at all.

I have already wasted a couple of hours mucking about on BT sites, clicking that and clicking that, and anything that purports to do any sort of test comes back saying all is well.  Well, well it isn't.

And now that I have no site hosting option at BT I have no reason to stay with BT.

I'll keep a record of my speeds, refuse to pay for a service I am not getting, demand a refund (talk to the legal department:  they just love to talk about contracts and consumer law and all that sexy stuff), then go to another provider.

UNLESS, a BT modertator reads this, decides that BT should really provide a decent service to the people who pay for it, and put my so-called Infinity service to a speed that is over 50mbps 9 out of every 10 times I check it, never dropping below, let's say, 20. That would be satisfactory.

By the way, when I was on my previous tarrif, BT told me that I would make a saving switching to Infinity. My bills are almost double what they were.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 11

Sounds as if you have issues with your wireless connection.  Don't you have any device you can do a wired test with to check where the problem lies.

Can you run something like inSSIDer on the tablet to monitor the wireless?  Then you can find the best channel and best location for HomeHub.  You don't say what kind of tablet.  iPads are rubbish for apps that do wireless monitoring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 8 of 11

Sounds like you are connecting wirelessly, if it's Windows Vista or 7 (maybe 8 as well, not checked) it will continue to search for networks every 1/2 minutes this causing you to have a ping (disconnect). 

For vista you can download Vista Anti-Lag to turn it off and for Win7 you can dl WLAN Optimizer.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

hi
unless you post a wired BT Speed test as instructed on the test site
Before beginning the test, please ensure:

1. Your computer is plugged into the broadband line to be tested. This tester may not work on iPads/Tablets, smartphones or other mobile device. 

2. Your computer is directly connected to your modem/router via an Ethernet Connection (i.e. not via a wireless or powerline adapters).
3. Any wireless adapter in your computer is switched off.
4. Close any programs that may be running on your computer. This includes any background programs such as anti-virus software, corporate VPNs, peer2peer clients etc. (Please ensure you re-enable any anti-virus software after you have finished testing).
5. Reboot your modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again. Wait for any lights on the router to stabilise before starting the test.
6. Restart your browser.
7. Ensure no other people or devices (e.g. broadband-connected TV set-top boxes) are using the broadband line to be tested.
8. Please note, it can take up to 10 days for your broadband line to train up to its full speed. So bear in mind that any speed test during this period may not reflect the true long-term speed of your broadband.

Please confirm that you have carried out the above steps. The speed test may report inaccurate results by failure to comply with the above steps.

You will have no evidence to show you have a speed problem link tyo the BT speedtest site http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

hi thanks everyone,but im not using wireless,my speed was ok for first couple of months and since has always been a constant 10mb download speed.think they just slowed us down cos we re heavy users to be honest.Anyway im changing to the rivals similar service soon to see if thats any better.If its not i know it must just be BTs rubbish phone exchange

0 Ratings