cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

infinity speed then ps3 test speed!!

Hi there when i do a normal speed test on my pc at speedtest.com, i get 37D/L and 8up/L which is good and no

problem. But when i do a network test on ps3 its around 24D/L only 1.4 or less up/L any ideas why this is???

many thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: infinity speed then ps3 test speed!!

Hi

Is the ps3 connected by wire or wireless, I am guess wireless at those speeds.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

no mate its wired!!
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

i sometimes turn the modem off and switch the hub off to reboot!! and the upload might rise to 3.5 but ive never seen it higher that that??
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Hi

As its wired I would hazard a guess that speed tests rely on the processing power of the device they running from.

So Your pc tends to be more powerful than a games console so gives a better result.

You could try using a different port on the router just to check, but after I had a search round the net it would seem that other ps3 users also have similar issues but put it down to the fact that's just what the console is capable off on a net work test.

Of course there are also people that claim they get better results but do not post how they achieved this.

Hopefully there will be some ps3 forum users on later that might more experience with this.

Sorry I could not be more help to you.  

Edit: heres link to a ps3 forum looks intresting  http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/1659721?start=0&tstart=0

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Hi I have done some port forwarding to open my Nat type!! As i have been looking into it a bit

i don't get many problems a bit of lag but i think that's other servers??

So this is really a query not a complaint. If the speed rises in my area i

will go for a higher speed and see if its any better then.

Many thanks for your input Cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

I get the same, 37 on my laptop...23 and 1.4 is the most I've seen on the PS3. I wouldn't worry about it. It's still a very very fast connection for anything you want to do on the PS3
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 11

yea definitely wouldn't worry about what the Ps3 says, as it states when you do the connection test on the Ps3 it's only an estimate, most of the time it's wrong. I have similar issues with it as well but nothing to be worried about
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

PS3 speed test is the speed to sonys own servers. Doesnt actually represent the fastest speed you can get. Also for gaming anything above 5mb is kind of a waste. Ping speed is more important
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

In my experience, not all speedtest measure in the same way, and some of them deliver bizzare results for various reasons, but often because they are just not geared up for speeds faster than 20Mb.

as an example if I compare the results from speedtest.net and speedtest.net mini (http://speedtest.net/mini.php), the mini results are a fraction of the speed I see on the main speedtest.net application.

Anyhoo, as myst_eri said, ping speed is the key factor

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings