cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sprocket77
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

infinity started today, where do I get an openreach modem?

Go to solution
Hi, sorry if this is a really stupid question.

My BT infinity was due to start today and I've come home from work to find the router still flashing etc. I was told Infinity would work with my home hub 4 so thought there wouldn't be an issue.

I've googled now on my very patchy data connection and I'm getting that I need something called an openreach modem? Is this correct? Where do I get one and if I need it why wasn't it supplied to me before switch on date? Help!
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: infinity started today, where do I get an openreach modem?

Go to solution

Unless you already had an Openreach white modem, you should have been sent a Smarthub which is a VDSL modem router combined.

Your Homehub 4 will not work with Infinity on its own.

You will need to contact BT and have them send out a Smarthub which is also known as the Homehub 6. Until you get one your broadband will not work.

0 Ratings
sprocket77
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
Oh brilliant. They offered me the chance to buy one at £65 quid which I declined as I thought my home hub 4 would work so i guess its my fault! Anyone have any suggestions on where I could get one or the other or an alternative over the weekend? before my teenage brother kills me.....
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
You should have been sent a compatible router free of charge (with a delivery fee).

See if there are any hub5 or smart hubs on local advertising sites?

Failing that you can buy a VDSL router from catalogue stores from as little as £30
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Do not buy anything. You should have been offered one free of charge. It is part of the package you ordered. Contact BT and tell them you do not have a compatible modem/router and you need one sent out. If the refuse tell them you want to cancel your order.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
If the OP wants online today then they will need to buy something.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
If the OP wants online today then they will need to buy something.

Obviously! but he should have been sent one.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
No one doubts that.

The reason for my reply was - "Anyone have any suggestions on where I could get one or the other or an alternative over the weekend? before my teenage brother kills me"
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

The Tp Link TD-W9970 is readily available locally for less than £35. Its a combined modem/router, so you do not need to use the home hub 4.

There is an oinline review on this page.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9970_review.htm

This is the manufacturers page http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

As you had already suggested to the OP to buy something it was obvious what you were refering to so it was not really necessary to point that out to me when I was informing him not to buy anything because he should have been supplied with the correct equipment. 

0 Ratings