cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minimodz
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

installation Questions...

Hi I'm looking at geting Infinity as my current broadband is about as good as dial-up (i think dial up would be more reliable at the moment) and I have a couple of questions:

Curently using Orange Broadband (free with our phones), and we are having no end of problems with connection dropping, slooooow speeds, etc. its got to the point now where we've had enough.

Am i right in thinking that the fibre optic doesnt go to the house - just to the green junction box nearby, then uses the existing phone line as normal? (we live in rented accomodation and the lines from the road (about 70yards) are underground with no way of laying new lines - so VM is out of the question.

what are the realistic speeds compared to the quoted ones??

thanks!

Matt

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Jarvmeister
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: installation Questions...

You are correct. The technology is called FTTC - Fiber To The Cabinet. Copper runs as normal from the cabinet to your house.

As far as I know, the quoted speeds are pretty acurate, if you type in your phone number to check availability, BT will actually base their estimate on the length of your line from the cabinet. Many people see a higher speed than the estimation - which is always nice when it happenes.

0 Ratings
loudgraham
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: installation Questions...

as mentioned speeds are pretty much estimated . mine was estimated 44 down and 8 up started off at 55 down and 15 up but after 2 months has stabilised at 44 down and 14 up so v happy with that as was getting 5 mb before and lots of drop outs and getting no drop outs what so ever 🙂 

0 Ratings