cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
username
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

internet keeps dropping

For the last week or so my interent keeps dropping, it may be okay for several hours or even a day or so then it starts to drop again. It was mainly happening late evening early morning but today it has been happening all day and it's starting to annoy me. I  have had my BT BB yor several years now without any real kind of issues till now, and it's proveing to be fun dealing with BT.

I thought it may be the router that was starting to play up, but I'm nott too sure on that as my phone line goes all to hell with excessive statice making the phone next to impossible to use, as you can't hear anything apart from the static. BT being the robbing sons of ******* thay they are, say they can't find anything wrong and want to charge me a small fortune to get an engineer to check for the fault, which they say even if it's not my faut I will still  have to pay, theiving ********. and to make it even worse you are going to start to charging me an extra 7% to put up with this **bleep**. Man Mad

I'm at the stage where I don't know what to do I'm peeved off and feeling ripped off. Right now just had a phone call and I can't hear a **bleep** thing on the phone, but BT says there is nothing wrong.

Just want to add, did a speed trest earlier and my speed had dropped by around 20%, just did another speedtest and it has now dropped by more that 50%.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: internet keeps dropping

if you can hear the noise when connected to the test socket then you should not be charged the charge is an advisory incase the fault is with your internal wiring or equipment
0 Ratings
username
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

The voice on the phone said I would be charged no matter where the fault was, even if it was found to be outside of my house. It did not say I would only be charged if the fault was due to my own wiring or setup. So if what you are saying is true, then they are making this claim to stop people requesting help from an engineer, or they are just plainly making false statements to their customers.

As this is effecting both my BB and phone line, and both of them are different connections at the socket, plugging anything into any test socket should make zero difference.

0 Ratings
username
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Done as you said and guess what, it made absolutely no difference.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call

It is not a broadband fault

0 Ratings
username
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

An update and it's not too good.

Had an engineer out all afternoon, he heard the problem but couldn't find the problem. He was at it for 4.5 hours and he left just a short while ago.

First problem, he has cut my phone off altogether, I can't get a dial tone or anything, while the phone was pretty bad before at least we had a phone.

Second problem, my broadband speed has went from 74 meg to 44 meg for download and 16 to 12 upload. not the worst thing to happen, at least I still have some kind of connection, unlike the phone. I'll just have to wait and see if it's still dropping my connection.

Not a happy bunny right now, and I can't even phone BT to let them know, or they can't phone me to let me know what is going to happen now.

The funny thing is, I was talking to this nice lady from virgin on the internet the other day there, when half way through the conversation the fault cut me off.

0 Ratings
username
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

The latest update.
Still not been fixed and my internet speed is now down from the 74 meg to 16 meg while uploads are down from 16 meg to 3.
It's turning into quite a fiasco to say the least. The man on the phone keeps wanting me to check my own wiring in the home, even after telling him that 2 engineers have said the problem is outside of the home and then he keeps threatening me with £129.99 call out charge, because he has too. Seems like BT are frightened to let their staff think for themselves.
Meanwhile an engineer thinks it is a cable between two poles that is at fault, but one of the poles had not been checked since 1984 so they had to check it first before he could ascend it. The pole team checked it and have now condemned the pole, meaning no one can ascend the pole till it has been replaced. Now that delay I can't blame on BT, the rest is one hand not knowing what the other is doing and no one talking to each other., not bad for a communication company.
Meanwhile BT decides that as the engineer was meant to come and change the cable yesterday so to them the problem has been fixed, it even says so on the problem page on their website in big nice letters it says FIXED. But it hasn't been fixed, they cannot fix it due to the unsafe pole.
Anyway they have two little buttons one with fixed on it, with another with not fixed on it. Clicking the not fixed button takes you to a page that allows you to type in why it has not been fixed in 150 words too. So you type in what's wrong and click on the continue button, all you get is a message telling you "REQUIRED FIELD" there are no other fields to fill in, so even that doesn't work, I suppose it’s one way to say, well the problem must be resolved as no one is saying other words.
So I'm still stuck with an unusable phone with a messed up internet connection, and it's going to cost me an extra 7% for it too.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 20

Hi username,

If you need any help with this please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
username
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

SO I get a phone call from a fault manager or something like that.
The conversation starts with, I see an engineer came and fixed the problem yesterday, but I can still hear a lot of noise on the line.
I told the lady, no the engineer didn't come yesterday, as they can't do anything because the phone pole is broken and they can't do anything till the pole is fixed.
BT. Oh I see, I'll just arrange for openreach to send an engineer out to find the problem.
ME. The engineer won’t come out as they can't fix the problem as the pole is defective.
BT. Yeah but an engineer will still have to come out to find the problem and fix it.
ME. They already know what the problem is but they can't fix it as they can't go up the pole as it's broken, that has to be fixed first.
BT. Surely they have means for going up a pole.
ME. Now I'm a pretty sarcastic person so my reply to that was, yeah it's called a ladder, then I did throw in, but they can't go up the pole till it's fixed.

This is how the conversation went for several minutes. At one point she even said to me and who is it that fixes the pole.

She's supposed to be the one that helps fix things, she's the one who is supposed to know these sort of things, I'm the customer, how the hell am I supposed to know who it that fixes defective telephone poles. I just know that BT openreach engineer cannot and will not have anything to do with a defective pole, they would lose their job if they went up a defective pole, let alone maybe even their life if it collapsed with them up the pole. The engineer told us this.

Now here's the stupid part on my side, I eventually said I can't handle you anymore, goodbye and I hung up the phone. The incompetence of this person beggared belief, she had no idea what I was talking about, she had no idea what should be done, she had no idea who done what, she had no idea what was happening, and I just couldn't take it anymore I was on the verge of swearing and I did not want to do that, so I said goodbye.

I'm not happy, I'm certainly not impressed, and I'm more than a little bit frustrated and annoyed right now.

I take it they record these conversations, so it should all be there for them to listen too.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 10 of 20

Do as NeilO has requested and send him your details.

Either he or another Mod will find out what is going on, when the pole will be replaced and ensure an engineer is on hand to repair your connection once the pole has been replaced.

They will keep you updated every step of the way either by phone or email until your problem is resolved.

Take note it will be 3-5 days for them to contact you initially but well worth the wait.

0 Ratings