cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thunderstreak
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

internet theft

I live in a semi and my neighbor is wireless enabled. He has told me that he can pick my hub up at a much better signal than what he is currently receiving from his supplier. Can he tap into my hub or use my fon/hotspot? My usage seems very high for the time i spend on the net and i fear he has tapped into my hub. how can i tell? answer much appreciated to put my mind at rest, as I dont see why I should pay for someone else.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: internet theft

@thunderstreak wrote:

I live in a semi and my neighbor is wireless enabled. He has told me that he can pick my hub up at a much better signal than what he is currently receiving from his supplier. Can he tap into my hub or use my fon/hotspot? My usage seems very high for the time i spend on the net and i fear he has tapped into my hub. how can i tell? answer much appreciated to put my mind at rest, as I dont see why I should pay for someone else.

He cannot use your internet connection unless he knows your wireless security key.

If he uses FON, then any usage does not count towards your download allowance.

He would have to pay for access, as FON is only free to BT Broadband customers, FON customers, and certain other mobile users who have access as part of their contract.

You can check the users connected to your hub by looking at the network devices on the home hub menu.

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

He cannot use your internet connection unless he knows your wireless security key.

Which is nicely on view to Joe Public on the HH2 if it's placed in a window (obviously on public view).....Smiley Mad
It can be changed though:)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@DS wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Which is nicely on view to Joe Public on the HH2 if it's placed in a window (obviously on public view).....Smiley Mad
It can be changed though:)

You'd be better off keeping the Hub off the windowsill.  Not so much for security, but because it will cook on a sunny day.

0 Ratings
thunderstreak
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

nice answer will bear that in mind
0 Ratings
thunderstreak
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

sunny day? lol your avin a laff. thx any way, the hub has been moved to a corner of the room and i am keeping a close eye on useage. i have also changed my p/w for it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
somersetbob
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Have you changed your password (admin user) or security key (WEP, WPA etc) which you use to connect wireless devices to the hub? You need to change the security key to make the connection secure, though they come pre-configured with the key printed on he hub, if somebody has copied that they can connect to your hub. BTW it is illegal to do so without the owners permission. Also, use WPA not WEP, WEP is less secure.
0 Ratings