cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterpan
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

invalid Username/ Password

I have been havingAnn ongoing issue with usIng BT Wifi hotspot. when I input my username and password and checking the BT total broadband option I always get an "authentication failed: invalid username/ password". however the same username and password combo works on BTyahoo mail perfectly.

BT Openzone team have changed the password for me 5 times in the space of 4 days with no result. when I go on BTFon website to check if I am registered, it clearly shows I have "opted-in" and have unlimited access, however I still can't log-in. I have been told it might be an iPad issue but I get the same prompt (invalid username/password) on an HP Desktop, Iphone and blackberry.

any help will be appreciated.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: invalid Username/ Password

Have you recently joined BT - if so there may have been a 'set up ' error by BT - someone ticked the wrong boxes in my case.

This can be dealt with but I don't know which dept.  I contacted the chat people via customer help -our products- who then transferred me to someone who identified what the problem was ( it was not the Indian helpline people).

Changing passwords doesn't help as you have found nor does remote access by BT on your computer.

0 Ratings
peterpan
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

no I haven't I have been with BT for over 2yrs

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

Is it one particular hotspot or do you have a general problem connecting?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
peterpan
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

a general problem connecting. I can use the same username/password combo to access BT yahoo and it's not a device/location issue as I have giiven out the details to friends to try from a different location and it's still returning "invalid username/password"

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

Then Contact BT Care Team. They are the moderators who oversee this forum and they have a good record in solving problems which customers can't sort out between themselves. Let us know how it goes.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

Hi

Is is a @btinternet.com email address you are using? or is it @talk21.com or @btopenworld.com.

Although my email address is @talk21.com when I log into BT Wifi I have to convert my email address to .t21@btinternet.com

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 14

DD is right - the only email domain name that BT WiFi will accept is btinternet.com. Actually, it's worth remembering that the domain name is not necessary to log in - just the user name (the bit before @) will do.

--
0 Ratings
johnj46
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

I have exactly the same problem. Have been a BT customer for a long time and have frequently unistalled BTfon and later BTWiFi for the same reason. I get a message saying I'm not connected to the Internet when my phone shows I am connected to BT fon but presumably not logged in as no emails download.

I've contact the help line on about 4 occasions with no result. It seems that what I'm experiencing can't happen and it must be my fault and I'm not using the correct login details !!!!

This is very frustrating as in some places in my home the phone wifi attempts to connect with BTfon rather than my homehub and so it looks as if it is working but it hasn't logged in. Therefore the only way forward is to uninstall BTwifi yet again and hope that some day the app will get sorted.

I use Android.

John.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

I found the old app problematic and it was easier to connect with the app uninstalled, though it's been OK since the rebranding of BT Fon to BT WiFi.

But, to eliminate any problem with the app, uninstall it until you have managed to connect manually. You can obviously connect to hotspots, but what happens then? Once connected to BT Wifi, you should get the landing page when you try to use the internet. You must choose BT Total Broadband on the landing page, then enter your primary btinternet.com email address and password. No other domain name (eg btopenworld.com) will work, and remember that the password is case-sensitive. You can omit the domain name if you want.

How does that go?

By the way, you can check that you're using the correct user name and password by logging in here

--