cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kebabboy11
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

ipad connectivity keeps dropping....

Can anyone help solve a problem with my ipad? It is always losing its internet connection.

Whenever I lose the internet connection, I go to the network connections page on the ipad and my home hub is always listed. However, once I connect to it, the connection drops off again soon after.

I can be on the internet and all off a sudden the connection drops off. I am then asked which network connection to connect to - I select my home hub from the list and then I am either told the ipad cannot connect to it or I am asked for my password (net key). But even after entering my password and connecting to my home hub, the connection will then drop off.

I have just recently had BT infinity installed - with a BT home hub 3.0. Everything had been working okay over the past two weeks. I never had this problem with the BT home hub 2.0.

I've tried numerous solutions recommended on the apple website, such as restarting the ipad and restoring the network connections to factory settings, all to no avail. And I've been on the phone to BT's technical dept almost daily.

The home hub is set to channel 11. I noticed, having installed inSSIDer, that many other people on my road use the same channel, while there are a number of home hub 3.0s listed.

There must be a problem with the settings on the home hub as my laptop works perfectly okay with it.

My internet speed is good.

Please help!!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: ipad connectivity keeps dropping....

Try my wireless hints Wireless Help

0 Ratings
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Hi kebabboy11,

I know this sounds silly, but make sure that the OpenReach modem and the HH3 are at least a metre apart. The OpenReach techs tend to stand the modem and router together. Screw the OR modem on the wall to improve ventilation and place the HH3 elsewhere.

A friend had endless problems like you describe with his iPad. BT support (switched-on operator with good English for a change!) suggested the above.

Problem gone!

0 Ratings
nickal47
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 10

Keith, your 'Wireless Help' link is breaking/broken. "Sorry, the page you are looking for has been moved to a different web server, as the free BT Webspace is closing soon and this link will stop working."
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

BT are closing the free web space, so I had to redirect old links to the new website. Its a bit of a pain, as there are quite a few of the old links posted.

If you look at my page below, you will find the new link.

0 Ratings
jentheven
Message 7 of 10

I am having exactly the same problem and have just started to investigate why. I'm not technical at all but I gather that the BT hub likes to generate new IP addresses very regularly. I have found that if I apply for a new IP address the problem goes away for a few hours, sometimes a couple of days if I'm really lucky. I am beginning to think that the answer is to have a static IP address rather than DHCP. I mostly use my Ipad at home so this won't be an issue for me. All techies please forgive me if I have got this completely wrong ! 🙂

0 Ratings
mivanp
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I had this problem for ages, But found that turning location services off on the ipad stops the disconnects,not had a disconnect since!. And i know im probably stating the obvious but a good channel helps i use 11 seems the most stable for me.

Privacy> location services>off
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@jentheven wrote:

I am having exactly the same problem and have just started to investigate why. I'm not technical at all but I gather that the BT hub likes to generate new IP addresses very regularly. I have found that if I apply for a new IP address the problem goes away for a few hours, sometimes a couple of days if I'm really lucky. I am beginning to think that the answer is to have a static IP address rather than DHCP. I mostly use my Ipad at home so this won't be an issue for me. All techies please forgive me if I have got this completely wrong ! 🙂

There is no problem with using the dynamic IP when using the ipad on your broadband connection. I use mine all the time with no problems.

Something else must be causing the problem for you

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
gilesgf1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I also had this problem.... I resolved it simply by turning off the auto channel switching and locking to 11

It's been like that now for nearly a month without issue

0 Ratings