cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rolysatch
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

is this where my bt wiring ends (sort of junction box)

hi

i've got some vrackles on the line but don't want to get bt involved if its an internal wiring issue. the box shown in the pics is where the line comes into the house in the loft. i do have a master socket in the hall downstairs but i'm not sure if this was fitted by bt.

does anyone know if this box in the pics is where bt's line terminates and my internal wiring starts?

any advice appreciated, thanks in advance

roland20120806_141852.jpg

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
rolysatch
Beginner
Message 2 of 13

Re: is this where my bt wiring ends (sort of junction box)

there's no markings on the outside of the box

20120806_141852.jpg

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

That is a very old BT connection as you have a master socket then if you connect your phone to the test socket and can hear noise then you need to contact BT Faults on 151 and get the fault repaired
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

That is old, complete with fuses as well Smiley Wink

That part of it belongs to Openreach so its not your responsibility. Just try the phone in your master socket as John has suggested.

Its best to replace the cover on that box in case Openreach accuse you of tampering with their equipment.

If its noisy at the master socket, and you do not have broadband, then report it as a noisy phone.

0 Ratings
rolysatch
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

thanks guys for the quick responses. so is that where my bt wiring terminates and my internal wiring begins? or is it at the master socket (bearing in mind i don't know if bt fitted the master socket)?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

The internal wiring start at your phone socket, wherever that may be located. Anything past the phone socket is your responsibility.

Is the area damp where that junction box is situated?

0 Ratings
rolysatch
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

hi keith

no bone dry, that's reassuring, it's fairly old wiring upto master socket and i didn't want to get a bill from openreach if that was at fault and it was my resposibility.

thanks again

roland

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

I would guess that the Openreach technician would probably update the junction box, as the fuse links are a source of trouble and are not used any more.

They could be causing the noise.

0 Ratings
rolysatch
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

understood, you've been very helpful, thanks a lot. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

That is one old Block Terminal, not even sure what seris it is as it pre-dates the day I was even born. Would say its from the GPO though.

If anything an Openreach Engineer would just remove it, crimp the drop wire and internal lead in wires together with gel filled insuallated crimps and enclose them inside the case of a Block Terminal 80.

0 Ratings