cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shakes
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

joke

My daughter,who is not with BT btw and lives 50 yards away from me and her phoneline goes into the same cabinate as myself can get bt infinity,but i can't.BT still keep saying my line can't support infinity just because i can't get 15mb.My daughter can only get 1 mb and i am on 6.5 to 7 mb what is this about?isit because she is not a bt custermer???????.

An update on this would be helpful anyone.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: joke

Infinity is only capable of working a short distance from the cabinet.  So if you live near the cabinet, you can get it; if you live too far away, you can't.  The speed you can currently get makes little difference.

It's anyone's guess why BT have limited the service to people who can get an estimated 15Mb though.

0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

@Ectophile wrote:

Infinity is only capable of working a short distance from the cabinet.  So if you live near the cabinet, you can get it; if you live too far away, you can't.  The speed you can currently get makes little difference.

It's anyone's guess why BT have limited the service to people who can get an estimated 15Mb though.

Perhaps the existing short length of copper wiring is more likely to be in good condition & also the premises/line has a good low noise profile?

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 4

Originally BT set the FTR for Infinity to 15mbits/s .... and so far as I know this hasn't changed.

I think it's due to change, with the addition of another fibre product, to be revealed (allegedly).

But Infinity uses the same impulse noise protection system that 21CN uses .... with bi-directional DLM on the

metallic path to the street dslam, and clearly will have its limitations according to line quality, like 21CN ADSL.

I think because the risk of home induced noise is less with Infinity, owing to the fact that it employs vdsl and

cat5/6 wiring from modem to active NTE so if there is any line induced environmental noise, this is deemed to be

"fairly incurable" ... because of prevailing conditions, and the copper line is evaluated before installation.

So I wonder whether in fact this relates to a relative level, whereby if the line is good, there's no or little

induced home noise ..... and if it doesn;t hack the 15mbits for the relatively short loop loss ... it isn't really worth

it.

Clearly real data according to line length and capability would have been used to set the FTR .... and what that

is I;ve no idea ... but in real terms I think the above is plausible fair reasoning in lamen's terms.

0 Ratings