Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shelly74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

keep getting working off line

Go to solution

Few time's today i have gone on internet but it's telling me im off line, i did a bt check which check's your connection and it tell's me that the connection is fine. But it's still say's im working off line and a then bo come's up asking weither i want to connect... Any ideas what's going on? And do i need a filter attached to my phone wire? or is there already a filter built into phone socket?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: keep getting working off line

Go to solution

@shelly74 wrote:

Few time's today i have gone on internet but it's telling me im off line, i did a bt check which check's your connection and it tell's me that the connection is fine. But it's still say's im working off line and a then bo come's up asking weither i want to connect... Any ideas what's going on? And do i need a filter attached to my phone wire? or is there already a filter built into phone socket?

If you have Infinity installed then the new faceplate fitted by the enginner has all the filtering required in it. So no further filters needed

(Michael's aka ypt "special" installation excepted). 

If your infinity installation is new then the 10 day training period may have intermittant disconnections.

One other thing I had problems with my PC running winXP where it wasn't connecting and the BT software kept coming up do I want to fix the problem... so I say yes then go thru choosing the picture of router etc and away it went and connected.

Bloomin' nuisance.... I cured the problem by removing the BT software and now stay connected.

I'll see if I can find that post... Found it HERE my reply in msg #2.

Another thought....

If your connecting over wireless it may be worth connecting over a wired, ethernet connection to your Hub as a test to see if your getting interference.

If a wired connection works ok then you can change your HH3 wireless channel and go back to a wireless connection.

Innsider is a good scanner to help you identify a better channel to move the HH3 router to.

A clear channel with none of your neighbours wireless signals on it is best however if it's crowded then choose a channel to share that has the fewer signals/weakest signal on it.

Or it may just be an Infinity "off" day. They happen I plodded along intermittently for a while see HERE then a while later things mysteriously got better without me doing a thing.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
shelly74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

ithank you for your help.. Another thing if you dont mind me asking.. I keep getting the bt help pop up to fi it, i know this isnt the forum for this as i have posted it on the phone forum. but i am getting a humming nosie constantly on my phone, Thursday and Friday went to pick up phone no tone, but it sound's like i am connected to someone, caller could hear me but i couldnt hear them. . Bt installed line on Monday been having problems since Thursday. As my openreach bo is in the same socket as my phone, could that be causing the problem? Could i switch off openreach bo take connection out of phone socket to see if it's the openreach bo causing my phone problem?

Thanks

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

No I wouldn't recommend turning the white Openreach Modem off at the moment.... it needs a stable ten day training period to get the best speed from your line.

However your telephone problem doesn't sound right and could be the main reason losing connection of your broadband.

To check your phone "Quiet Line Test" Dial 17070, you'll get an electronic voice confirmation of your telephone number.

Then press option 2 (quiet line test) and... well it should be quiet, no clicks buzzes or hums. Best to try it using a CORDED/WIRED phone to make sure it's not a problem with your wireless/dect phone.

(However using my dect wireless phone it's absolutely silent so they can work on this test.... but to make really certain it's not your phone introducing noise then if the test is noisy you should try a corded/wired phone).

By ensuring the noise is not being produced from your own phone you avoid getting a bill from BT for an unnecessary call out.

So if you still have that noise after changing phones I would call BT and log a "Telephone losing dial tone" and "noisy line" problem.

Contact BT info. 

From a landline dial:

0800 800 151 

From a mobile dial:
0330 123 4151* 

Opening hours
7am to 11pm, 7 days a week (and automated system outside these hours) 

If you need to call us from abroad, you can reach us on +44 179 359 6931. The cost of the call will depend on which country you are calling from.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
shelly74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

openreach is all new to me.... i have checked the website, so the 3 lights on the top of my openreach are as they are meant to be, But i have 2 lights on the back of the openreach bo it has 2 lights where the the cord goes in one is green the other is flashing orange, is it meant to do that? My borther has openreach but he's blind so he is unable to tell me if his does the same. Just trying to think of everything. Before i got new BT line put in i have never had any trouble with phone or braodband before.

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

The Openreach lights should be.-

Power ON solid Green

DSL ON solid green

Lan 1 ON flashing green.

Underneath sort of inside the modem I can see one solid green light and one flashing orange light.

I hope your Openreach modem is mounted on the wall unlike the one pictured below.

If they are not mounted vertically then they have a tendancy to overheat as the cooling vents/grills are not functioning properly.

Sorry the pic is upside down....

I suggest as you  still have problems that you contact the Forum Mods and refer (copy the URL) of this your thread to give them the background to your problem. your URL = http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/keep-getting-working-off-line/td-p/290763

You can contact them by clicking on their names and obtaining a contact form, they are very helpful but due their workload it may take up to 72hrs before they contact you.

You can use this form http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Or phone a fault call in to BT explaining all the problems ie Infinity broadband intermittant and Phone line problems.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings