Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 131 of 264

Re: latest garbage from BT support - the "fault threshold" get-out

Go to solution
If that is the case then connecting to test socket will not eliminate any problem with the cable under the laminate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 132 of 264

Go to solution

Precisely.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 133 of 264

Go to solution
It has taken a lot of posts some very long to get to this stage. i still cannot believe an openreach engineer would put the cable under laminate flooring. Is it possible that putting cable under laminate was done after engineer had left?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 134 of 264

Go to solution

The socket is where it has always been - since we purchased the property some 8 years ago. Prior to us living here the cable would have been beneath carpet. We fitted laminate flooring shortly after moving in.

In other news, I have spoken to both neighbours now - having made a deliberate point to do so. One seems to be experiencing nothing more nor less than the speeds and connection issues I am (which is to say, rarely if ever obtaining sufficient capacity to watch YouTube clips or use the BBC's iPlayer function). He maintains that his DL speed is continuously less than 1mbs, and told me that he hates receiving emails from friends and family that contain links to YouTube because he cannot tolerate the endless buffering that he inevtiably encounters once the link has been clicked. He has long since resigned himself to this state of affairs and is extremely dissatisfied with the level and quality of provision. Like me he is a BT customer. He has also tangled with the very, very poor off-shore customer support - hence in part his resigned attitude. He did not know of the existence of this online forum.

On the other side my neighbour seems to be having a very slightly easier time of things, but maintains that his line speed dips when his wife uses her laptop or phone-gadget-thing. He believes that at least once a fortnight his BB connection is broken and he is completely unable to connect to the internet. He is not with BT.

The emerging picture is all somewhat inconclusive.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 135 of 264

Go to solution
If you enter your attenuation here that will give you idea of speed based on a good line with no noise problems. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

0 Ratings
protuberance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 136 of 264

Go to solution

I did that previously, using the attenuation in the quoted statistics... It came up with an estimate of 3.3 - 3.4km, and a maximum speed of 5.5-5.7Mbps.

As we've seen sync speeds of 5.5Mbps sometimes, we can say that the line does occasionally gets the right answer.

0 Ratings
protuberance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 137 of 264

Go to solution

Can I ask a question about the cable "laid beneath the laminate floor", can I ask what you mean by "beneath"?

Is the laminate floor laid directly on top of the cable, touching it in some way, and possibly crushing it (either sideways or downwards)? Or is the cable laid loosely dangling below some floorboards, while the laminate floor is laid on top?

Anyway, after that little aside...

It seems that the socket is probably fine, and the filter seems surprisingly new. With no extensions, there are few options to go wrong... but with your comment about needing to sit in the hall with your laptop, it made me wonder...

Just how does the hub plug into the filter? Do you have an extra-long cable on it?

The next thing worth trying is to monitor the sync speeds and noise margins on a more regular basis, using some software installed on the PC. That would regularly check the hub, and create graphs of the noise margin and the sync speed - at least as long as the PC is turned on.

Then, while running that, you can correlate any line problem with, for example, times that people are in the house, or times when the marching band are trampling up the hallway.

Is that something you'd be willing to run?

If so, google "RouterStats home hub download" and choose the website titled "RouterStatsHub :: RouterStats for the BT Home Hub 3" (it is the second main result on my search).

0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 138 of 264

Go to solution

Just a some quick comments and stats. Wife informed me that internet connection was unavailable last night - this was around ten o'clock. Same time as Sunday, strangely. Also, if I have understood them correctly my stats seem to suggest that there was a further break in connection at around 4.30am today. Now, before I get further into this laminate flooring thing, let me just quickly state that nobody has been walking through, around or in the hallway - either last night at ten o'clock nor this morning at 4.00-ish. We've all been in bed between those hours. Anyway, the stats:

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 02:14:25
Downstream:4.25 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.7 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):46.6 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.2 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):215619 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):6 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):12 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):6 / 0
0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 139 of 264

Go to solution

@protuberance wrote:

Can I ask a question about the cable "laid beneath the laminate floor", can I ask what you mean by "beneath"?

Is the laminate floor laid directly on top of the cable, touching it in some way, and possibly crushing it (either sideways or downwards)? Or is the cable laid loosely dangling below some floorboards, while the laminate floor is laid on top?

Anyway, after that little aside...

It seems that the socket is probably fine, and the filter seems surprisingly new. With no extensions, there are few options to go wrong... but with your comment about needing to sit in the hall with your laptop, it made me wonder...

Just how does the hub plug into the filter? Do you have an extra-long cable on it?

The next thing worth trying is to monitor the sync speeds and noise margins on a more regular basis, using some software installed on the PC. That would regularly check the hub, and create graphs of the noise margin and the sync speed - at least as long as the PC is turned on.

Then, while running that, you can correlate any line problem with, for example, times that people are in the house, or times when the marching band are trampling up the hallway.

If so, google "RouterStats home hub download" and choose the website titled "RouterStatsHub :: RouterStats for the BT Home Hub 3" (it is the second main result on my search).

Yes the laminate floor is on top of the cable. There are no joists and floorboards anywhere downstairs - it is all concrete.

No - definitely not. There is no need. The Hub is right next to the socket and of course plugs directly into it. It is probably only 4 feet away - and thus its lead could theoretically be shortened to a little over this. So no - there is no need for any extension and in any case we do not have one and have never had need of one.

Yes of course - I will do that as soon as I have posted this. Please also note that my laptop is switch on all day every day and much of the night as well. It is never switched off, although it will of course go into sleep mode or whatever it's called, when I'm not using it. So I suppose there is a question here - should I change it's settings to ensure that it remains at its "on-est" i.e. "most on" at all times?

0 Ratings
trevor_machine
Aspiring Expert
Message 140 of 264

Go to solution

Okay - so. I have now downloaded and am running RouterStatsHub

Tags (1)
0 Ratings