cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
desauld
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

less than 1 meg upload on infiniry. bt say no fault found?

Hi all. Ok I have had bt infinity for over a year. I'm connected directly to my hub with cat 6 cable. My profile is 15 meg down and 2 meg up. I can get 14.7 meg down and 0.85 up. I reported this as a fault and at first the guy in the call center stayed this was a fault and too slow on uploads. But after 2 days I got a call to say this is the max my line can do. So 2 weeks later I got a email from bt saying I could now increase my upload speed for free and to follow a link. I did this and the website says no increase is available, so I'm confused. Basically I run a NAS, and need to access large files from other locations, but at 0.85 meg uploads its so slow. I can put up with the download speed. What can be done to improve things? Thanks des.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: less than 1 meg upload on infiniry. bt say no fault found?

What does this checker say for your phone number? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
desauld
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Available Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date Featured Products WBC FTTC Up to 9 Up to 1 -- Available WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 -- 4 to 8 Available WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6 Up to 1 4 to 8 Available ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Other Offerings Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

Sorry ray doesn't copy and paste well, but it tells me 1 meg upload... Is that a physical limit, or a bt throttle some place. Anything I can do? Cheers
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

I think it's just an estimate rather than a cap, but the length and quality of the line from the cab to your house is what reduces the speed. So in that sense it's a physical limit due to the physics of the cable.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
desauld
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thanks Ray. What I find odd is that I get my max profile speed on download, but less than half my max on upload. I would of thought if the line was too long etc it would slow the download too, or is upload more sensitive? Will I be stuck at this speed or can bt do anything to speed me up in the future?
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

You are on a 40/2 service. You are only getting 15 down because you are far away from the cab. This also effects your upload which is why you only get 1mbps. The upload profile isnt managed the same way as download so it will always say 2 for you regardless of what speed you actually get. 

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 7 of 10

Do you think we could see something like SDSL on FTTC?

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
desauld
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Here is the email I got from bt yesterday. " Hello, You can now get faster broadband speeds in your neighbourhood because weve improved our network. And they wont cost you a penny extra. Your upload speed could go from up to 2Mb to up to 9Mb (your download speed will stay the same). How much faster can your internet be? Find out now Thanks for choosing BT." so, will my speed improve? My profile is 15 meg down, 2 up. I get 14.7 down, eg max my profile allows, but only 0.85 up. So I still think there is something odd slowing my uploads as my downloads are at my full rated speed. Cheers des.
0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 9 of 10

I would advise contacting the moderators.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Though if you have 15Mbps down you won't get 10Mbps up.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
desauld
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Thanks guys, I have filled in the enquiry form and will keep you informed of what happens.
0 Ratings