cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nirvana316
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

limited by line speed

I am wondering what limits your line speed.

I recently moved and was only able to get 10-15 mbps. I had an engineer come and now I am up to 30mbps. I pay for up to 70mbps and know that the issue is my line speed. It is limiting me.

So what sets the limit on that line speed and is it improvable? 

5 REPLIES 5
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: limited by line speed

The sync speed is at the mercy of a number of variables.

Line distance, ambient noise, potential faults, line quality, material of the line (copper or aluminium), guage of the cable used, internal wiring/setup.

For VDSL (FTTC) there's also something called crosstalk which is essentially interference from other users. If you're unlucky, this can have quite a dramatic affect.

Can you put your number into here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post up a screenshot of the results. This will show what speeds to expect from your line.

You may be on the wrong package.

Could you also post the connection stats from your home hub or router manager page?

Thanks
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
nirvana316
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

1.PNG2.PNG

0 Ratings
nirvana316
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

3.PNG

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 6

Looks like it's distance from the cabinet that is limiting your speeds. Unfortunately you can't argue against the laws of physics.

Downgrade to Infinity 1 and save some money.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 6 of 6

Hi @nirvana316 and thanks for posting.

@pippincp is correct. That stats you've posted confirm you'll not achieve much better than you're currently getting so downgrading to Infinity 1 would be an option. Your best bet would be to contact our options team on 0800 800 030 to discuss further.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings