cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

line to pole broken in rear garden bt want to put a new pole at the front garden

I would appreciate some advice.  We have been without phone line or Internet for a month now.  We have recently moved to a house and the existing line to the telegraph pole in the rear garden was broken.  We did inform them of this when we ordered home move.  Bt open reach subcontractors turned up about 2 weeks ago to install a pole in our front garden to connect a new line to the next door neighbours new house.  We said no.  Bt open reach contractors turned up again last week to install a pole on our front drive to install a line for the next door new house and also for our house - we said no again.  We have requested several times for the Bt planners to discuss with us why they won't fix the line on the pole in the rear garden and we have also discovered that Bt openreach have a policy of not talking to customers in relation to location of poles.  I have only today received an acknowledgement of my complaint put in to open reach several weeks ago.

Does any one have any idea how to get some one at BT open reach planning department to speak to us.  We would also still like to use the existing pole in our back garden and not have a new pole out the front.  We are currently in the process of widening our drive way and doing extensive works to improve the visibility down the road as we pull out of our drive.  The subcontractor threatened to put the pole on the council pavement (obstructing our visibility down the road) when we refused to let him put it on our driveway.  He wasn't concerned with our wishes, he stated that if he didn't put in a pole he wouldn't get paid so he didn't care where it went.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: line to pole broken in rear garden bt want to put a new pole at the front garden

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Re: line to pole broken in rear garden bt want to put a new pole at the front garden

Thanks John

I have looked at open reach site in some depth and have emailed and phoned several  numbers.  I have not had any help from them.  The people responsible for locating new poles will not speak to the customer and they will only accept letters or emails.  Today I have received an acknowledgement of my complaint to them and a further email to say that they will investigate my complaint.  This has taken approx 3 weeks.  In this time period subcontractors appeared again to plant a pole in my front garden.  On both occasions it was a happy concidence that I was at home and able to stop them.  By the way our house is an exisiting 1955 house not a self-build.  The house next door is a new build.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Thank you again for the link.  I have read this, and again I have to say it does not relate to our situation.  We are not requesting new equipment for ourselves we are happy to use the existing pole in our back garden. The whole issue of a new pole seems to have arisen purely because the next door house requires a line, so once the new pole is up for them it appears that it would be easier for BT to connect to the new pole rather than the existing. 

However, we have made some headway by contacting council highways who state that BT can not simply plant a pole in the pavement they do need some kind of permission and they should listen to our concerns regarding visibility down the road.  We were therefore told 2 weeks ago that the new next door house was happy to have the pole in their own garden as it does not have the same visibility problems as the location will be on the left of the driveway as apposed to the right hand side.

They did however say they had to wait for permission from the next door neighbour (although they never at any time tried to ask our permission when they wanted to locate it in our garden/driveway!!).

This was all resolved by the council highways who had a contact she could talk to at openreach and she kept us informed and arranged a meeting between the open reach planner and ourselves!

To this date we are still waiting for a BT homemove which was ordered on 3rd April - and we have just received a bill for services which we still don't have! So although we are supposed to be closer to a solution it doesn't feel like it and the service from BT and the lack of contact and updates has been appalling.  When our contract has expired I will definitely be looking elsewhere for our provider.  The thing that most amazes me - BT a telecommunications company will not pick up the phone and call us.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

It is Openreach that are responsible for the supply and maintenance of the network not BT they are just a service provider like many other suppliers Openreach is under rules laid down by OFCOM to provide an equal level of service to all communications providers BT Retail gets no preferential service and they can only give you any information passed to them by Openreach
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

see if anybody who tried to put a pole in my garden without my say so would find it laying horizontal the next morning

those pesky kids in my neighbourhood are terrible lol

0 Ratings