cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
revocomputers
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

looking to ditch Sky for BT Youview

Hi, I'm looking to replace my Sky TV with BT Youview, but I have some questions.

I have my Sky box connected to 3 other rooms via RF2 and magic eye IR senders,   I was thinking of using a Scart to RF convertor and  IR senders with the BT box, or is there a better way?

With Sky I can watch all the channels on my PC or tablet, will I be able to do the same with BT?

Will the main freeview channels (BBC1, ITV1,2 and 3, Channel 4, Channel 5) be in HD?

Any other mayor disadvantages to BT TV over Sky TV?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: looking to ditch Sky for BT Youview

@revocomputers wrote:

Hi, I'm looking to replace my Sky TV with BT Youview, but I have some questions.

I have my Sky box connected to 3 other rooms via RF2 and magic eye IR senders,   I was thinking of using a Scart to RF convertor and  IR senders with the BT box, or is there a better way?

With Sky I can watch all the channels on my PC or tablet, will I be able to do the same with BT?

Will the main freeview channels (BBC1, ITV1,2 and 3, Channel 4, Channel 5) be in HD?

Any other mayor disadvantages to BT TV over Sky TV?

Thanks.

The SCART-to-RF should work, provided all your TVs are old enough to receive analogue TV.  It would be better to distribute the video signal as composite video (or even better as RGB), rather than RF, but that rather depends on what wiring you have..  BT do now support two YouView boxes in a multi-room arrangement, but you'd have to pay for the extra kit.

BT doesn't have any means to watch TV on a tablet ot PC, except for BT Sport.  Most of the channels are just Freeview TV, but with others available streamed over broadband to the YouView box, depending on what package you get.

The YouView box supports Freeview HD, provided it is available in your area.  You'd need to check what is on your local transmitter - see http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php

BT TV is generally a lot cheaper than Sky - for a good reason.  It's a cheap-and-cheerful add-on to Freeview, rather than the whole bundle of stuff you can get with Sky.  In particular, if there's any channels you particularly want, check that they are available before you sign up (and beware of over-enthusiastic sales people).

0 Ratings
revocomputers
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for that Ectophile 

I already have the coaxial cableling in place, so Scart to RF would be the easiest thing to do.

I've been paying loads to Sky for 14 years and I only ever watch History and Discovery.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

One problem you will have is that if you have the Youview box connected both by HDMI *and* SCART then it does not display the menus etc on the SCART connected TVs.  You have to be looking at the main TV or navigate blind.

(or has this blooper been sorted since last I heard?)

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Just to add, Channel 5 is not available in HD, but the others are.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

@revocomputers wrote:

Are you aware that the BT TV boxes aren't compatible with the magic-eye system? You would need to use alternative IR senders in order to use the remote in other rooms.

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 7 of 11

my g4's display menus on both hdmi and scart to rf

0 Ratings
bigmagicdog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I have just ditched Sky infavour of BT as I watch the terrestial channels and Discovery etc (the extra channels) I bought a set of tv senders from Maplins and they work fine. My main tv downstairs is on HDML lead and the tv sender is fed from the scart socket. Downside is of course that I am duplicating the signal from the box but some of the tv senders have a magic eye leadd which enables you to change channels from the second tv via the tv senders. Ditching SKy is saving me over £20 a month as I do not watch Sky1 or 2 etc or Atlantic or indeed any Sky channel.

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 9 of 11

Great move and welcome to the wonderful world of BT TV. The only thing stopping me ditiching sky completely is Sky Sports. Youview is a great product and you'll love it.

0 Ratings
FRUSTRATEDONE
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Have you checked that BT Infinity is available in your area and that your telephone exchange is enabled to broadcast tv signals. I am having problems trying to watch live football on the BT Sport app because when the footballers run quickly there is some blurring and jerking of their movement. Also having signed up to BT I then realised that I could not watch BT Sport through their Youview box to my tv because they said that I did not have Infinity but as soon as I did get it I was then told that the exchange did not have the equipment to broadcast tv ! Now they have told me that Windows 8.1 64 bit and Silverlight are not compatible with BT Sport ! I agree with what you are saying about Sky but at least I never had any problems with the quality of their picture.

0 Ratings